Pregnant plattys now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missileman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I took on some orphans recently, among them are 5 Red Wagtail Platy's and it appears 2 of them are pregnant.
What should I do?
I have read that you can use a breeding trap or just have some plants for the frys to hide in.
I have a couple of live plants in a 46 gallon community tank but I don't think that will provide alot of shelter. I really don't want any more live plants, I would consider adding some artificial plants.There is also a structure in the tank with tunnels and caves but my cichlids like to explore them so probably not a viable hiding spot.
Also I have read that when using a breeding trap that you should put the mother in the trap 5 days before delivery? How can you tell when that is?
One of them is very fat and could pop any day.

usually the mom will act scared when she is nearing delivery. She'll also look kinda' boxy. I don't like breeding traps. at all. They scare the poor fish half to death. You may want to use a net breeder (i've used the plastic box kind) But I like to let the mom give birth in my normal tank and slowly catch the baby fry. (they don't swim alot at first) However, if your tank is large, It's better to give her a smaller tank (I'm going to use my 5 gal. to raise the fry) and then remove her after she's done (keep in mind that the mom will eat the babies, so keep close watch ;)) Have fun and good luck!!

What kind of cichlids are they? I'd put in some more artificial plants or floating real plants if you want to save some fry, but otherwise, there's nothing wrong with nature taking its course: either the fry live, or the cichlids (or parents) eat 'em. It sounds cruel, but unless you have room for many generations of livebearers, you'll be overrun quickly.

That is probably what I will do.
My daughter has rethought her 10 gallon tank and plans on using it as a breading tank now but it has a ways to go before it will be cycled and ready for use.
The cichlids are:
3 yellow lab
3 red zebra
2 albino, snow white I think

A very dense planting of real or artificial plants and similar small leafy structures will give the fry a place to hide where the other fish have a hard time swimming at all. A dense clump of java moss works very well for this. Enough fry will find the shelter of such a place that you will get a few from each drop. Unless you are going to start trying to breed and sell fish, that is probably all the fry that you will want to have survive.

Back
Top Bottom