Pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennamckay

Aquarium Advice Activist
So one of my platys has been pregnant for about 3 1/2 weeks (estimate) she isn't super big but she is very translucent so I can see all the little fry inside her and they look like they are ready to pop out. Yesterday morning I could only see a set of fry eyes and now I see 6+. I did put her in a breeding box because all my fry got eaten last time even with a heavily planted tank. Also she has been hiding from the others in plants or just laying on the gravel and hasn't really been eating much. My question is, do you think I should leave her in the breeding box because she seems so close to delivery or do you think she has some time and I should take her out?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398090123.101286.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398090140.802618.jpg

If you can see fry and she is refusing food then she is very close, personally i dont like breeder boxes as they can add to the mothers stress levels but as you had no success last time with her giving birth in the tank then its well worth giving the breeder box a try so keep her in there and you may have better luck this time

The only thing is she's not very big. My last platy was HUGE and very square when she gave birth. Does that really matter though or does it just differ between the fish?

I also happened to find this online and she has every one of the signs of labor other than she doesn't seem that square to me
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398120836.642198.jpg

That's exciting . I'm hoping mine drops soon too!!! She already had one... My lfs said it happens an that he was a premie lmao

I would say you should have some with the next couple days! Especially since our platys looked like they were both around the same time in their pregnancy

Glad you had better luck with the breeder box, seems the way to go for your platy, i woke up to 35 molly fry yesterday born in the tank, have transferred them into the breeder box until my local pet shop takes them off me, she had 17 last time so expect more fry next time your platty mummy drops her next batch ! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398277615.790547.jpg

Back
Top Bottom