Pregnant Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeresaJ68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a pregnant platy and she is in an open tank with one male platy one male molly and one female molly. should I put my platy in a breeder or just buy more foliage for the tank?

A breeder would best preserve the fry if you want a good survival rate. I'd wait till she's close to dropping though because you put her in or it might stress her out to hold them.

The typical pregnancy period for livebearers is more/less 30 days.

Caleb

I am new too this so forgive me for my lack of knowledge on them ... how do i know when she is going to pop?

I am new too this so forgive me for my lack of knowledge on them ... how do i know when she is going to pop?

I know guppies(also livebearers) do something called "boxing off" where the belly almost looks squared. Google will help give you a better picture than my words can explain. When they are boxed off they are close to dropping the fry soon.

Could back how long she has been noticeably pregnant and go from there up to 30 days as an estimate.

Caleb

thank you she is pretty big and seems to stay at top of water near corner of tank. her belly is white like i seen in the pics if i had good lighting and a camera i would take a pic

It all depends on how many fry you want, but a breeder will give you a higher survival rate as it provides complete isolation.

Back
Top Bottom