pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
how long till my platy gives birth? its gravid spot is dark orange and i can see small figures but no eyes yet.

Hard to say, but if you are already seeing the babies clearly I would say 10 days max.

You could get a small net that hangs inside the tank. It's rectangle shaped and seperates the babies from all the other fish. If your tank is planted and has surface plants, you could also let nature take it's course. You will have some survivors if you try this last method. Make sure you know what you will be doing with all the babies if you go for the breeding net. See if your lfs will take back some of the fry once they get bigger.

I prefer a seperate tank but you will have to cycle that tank too so that might not be the best option given the time frame.

I would say congrats, but I'll just wait until she pops them out and see if any survive! Watch her like a hawk, becuase they can eat thier fry faster than you might think. My platy has been prego twice and I have yet to have any fry to show for it, just some fat bellies from eating them once born.

Back
Top Bottom