Pregnant Platy Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bent Needle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 female platies in a 20g long tank, one of which is visibly pregnant. She eats like a little piranha and has really started picking on the other one. The non-pregnant female has taken to hiding constantly and barely comes out even for food. Earlier today they both went inside the castle-cave and I could see them fighting, eventually the non-pregnant one came out and fluttered around for awhile. You can see in the video she's sort of just dashing and fluttering around, like she's scared to death. :( She's keeping her top fin kind of clamped along her back, too, except when she's eating.

I didn't get these fish for the fry, so I really honestly don't care if they eat the fry when the one drops them or not, I just want both of the adults to be okay. They were both so happy and playful until about a week ago, when Preggo started acting like a brat. :( Is there anything I can do to help this situation? Or is this normal? It's worrying me to death and I'm so confused, these are my first fish. :nono: Maybe I should have picked something else, a fish that doesn't procreate so easily. :p

Because everyone seems to ask:

Tank is fully cycled. Ammonia = 0 ppm, Nitrites = 0 ppm, Nitrates = 5-10 ppm.

I'm not really worried about the fry, just the two adults. The non-pregnant one just seems so stressed. It's always been the more shy of the two, but it's awful now.

I'm not really worried about the fry, just the two adults. The non-pregnant one just seems so stressed. It's always been the more shy of the two, but it's awful now.
If your really concerned, you could always add a few more(spread the attention out), bring her back and swap her or try adding a male...

Do you think adding another one or two could help? I had thought about that but wasn't real sure.

Do you think adding another one or two could help? I had thought about that but wasn't real sure.
Yeah i think it would help. It'll spread out the attention. Even just one more and see does that help, max 2 but if you do 2, i would leave 2wks between each one....

I don't like buying fish from Petsmart but I may go get one more female today, and a divider so the pregnant one has a part of the tank to herself. I've spent hours staring at the tank now, making sure the picked-on one gets to eat.

I don't like buying fish from Petsmart but I may go get one more female today, and a divider so the pregnant one has a part of the tank to herself. I've spent hours staring at the tank now, making sure the picked-on one gets to eat.
If they only knew the stress they put US under!!!..
If the stores not to far from you, just try the fish idea first without the divider. The divider might create more territories..I really just think she's been protective, the other one will soon learn to stay away....

Back
Top Bottom