Pregnant platy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asberry2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few female platys in a tank and they've never been exposed to a male since they were born....however one of the females is developing a gravid spot....I was wondering if there was any way a male guppy could've gotten the platy pregnant?

So did you buy them from a pet shop ? Or breed them. Because they can hold sperm for up to six months and if they've been in a pet shop along the way some where they have probably had contact with a male. I think it is possible for them to interbreed but the babies won't be able to be sold.

I bred them myself....and immediately isolated all the females...so I do know for a fact that the platys never came into contact with another male platy....but I was wondering because there is one male guppy in the female platy tank and he chases the two biggest females and tries to show off for them...etc

Guppy and platy cannot mate with each other. Guppy is in Poecilia family and platy is in Xiphophorus family.
Sometimes female livebearers can develop a gravid spot even without a male, these are just unfertilized fry. She will either drop them or her body will absorb them

She may have been impregnated from one of her brothers ( check the sexes of the females) one may have become a male to continue the flow of babies .
She may also just be developing eggs for breeding. They may be infertile and will just either be absorbed or passed

Back
Top Bottom