Pregnant Platy when will it give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy_guy12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I am wondering when my platy would give birth next?

I have seen several fry in my tank for the past several days but I have never seen Maria (my pregnant platy) give birth. I have not put my Maria in a breeder box. the fry will be exposed so I have to take the fry out, out of the 5 fry, only one got rescued! :( So can you tell me the signs of a platy about to give birth please! Thanks! Also, should I put her in the breeder box?

:fish2:

I don't put my platys in a breeder box. I feel it's less stressful for the female to not be moved from the tank. All my platys have given birth a night after a water change. Maybe yours is just waiting for the right conditions.

It can really differ when a female will drop her next batch of fry. For she will decide if a stored sperm packets will fertilize her internal eggs. So, that would mean that a female doesn´t have to deliver fry every 3-5 weeks as most people will try to say.

And in case she's still holding on to some fry, that may be because she's not comfortable enough to drop more fry. That's quite normal with such livebearers.

Can someone tell me if my platies are pregnant

Hi, I was wondering if my platies were pregnant (plural) because I bought 4 platies 3 days ago, and it looks like they came pregnant from the store. I am also wondering when they will spawn if pregnant?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 43
Hi, I was wondering if my platies were pregnant (plural) because I bought 4 platies 3 days ago, and it looks like they came pregnant from the store. I am also wondering when they will spawn if pregnant?
Some look pregnant (at least the 2 right positioned ones) from what I can see but probably it may still take a little while.

Thank you, it’s been a couple more days and they look a little bigger!!

Yea the far right one definitely looks pregnant but the others i have no clue

Back
Top Bottom