Pregnant swordfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Pretty sure the lovely lady is pregnant but if anyone wants to confirm. My friend gave me her and 2 males and one of the males seems to be looking after her and chasing the other one away. Should I give this one back to friend and just keep the pair? Since yesterday she has been mostly swimming round in a large circle at the back of the tank, same area. Is this a sign of labour or anything?

Attachments

• image-2216273488.jpg
    image-2216273488.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 511
Hey Jaxi! I've been breeding swordtails for about 2 years now and she definitely is pregnant (or gravid, as it is in fish). The males are fighting over her and swordtails are known to be especially aggressive without enogh females. And livebearers have been known to "harass" the females to death. (Although I've never witnessed that.) I reccomend you either return a male, get more females, or all of the above. The choice is yours, though, as I've never witnessed anything serious result from their squabbles.

Oh your just the person then! Does the swimming round in a circle mean anything? Can you tell when they're about to give birth?

Ha ha just noticed I've put sword fish on the title... Ha ha...would like to see one of those fit into my aquarium!!!!

If I was a mod I'd move this in the breeding forums haha :)

If they're swimming in circles that shows he's going after her. As zooking mentioned above try to move the male or get more females. you will tell when she is pregnant or not by noticing if there is a change in belly shape in a couple of weeks.

Ooh are you telling me off..ha ha ha! I have just moved it. New to this site so just getting used to it. Thanks for letting me know. Think I will give one male back, poor girl!

shes definitely gravid,but she will get much fatter than she is.mine got huge when she had her ffry

Omg the poor thing. She looks huge already! I did wonder though as I've read you can see the frys eyes and we can't yet. Could you see them in yours?

Omg the poor thing. She looks huge already! I did wonder though as I've read you can see the frys eyes and we can't yet. Could you see them in yours?
i could sort of see them the second time she had fry,the first time and last time there was barely a grvid spot,she just got huge

Back
Top Bottom