Pregnant swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Pretty sure the lovely lady is pregnant but if anyone wants to confirm. My friend gave me her and 2 males and one of the males seems to be looking after her and chasing the other one away. Should I give this one back to friend and just keep the pair? Since yesterday she has been mostly swimming round in a large circle at the back of the tank, same area. Is this a sign of labour or anything

Attachments

• image-2559974151.jpg
    image-2559974151.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 132
She absolutely is pregnant. Hard to tell how far along.

FWIW, its recommended to keep one male for every 3 females. This is to give her a break so to speak.

I only keep one male in my 55 gallon along with 5 females. He is very attentive and thats why he has more females...Maybe if you dont already have it, get some floating breeder grass (artificial or live). The fry like to hide from the adults so they dont get eaten..

your not supposed to start to threads onn the smae question,you should ask a mod to delete one

alLexX said:
your not supposed to start to threads onn the smae question,you should ask a mod to delete one

I'm new in here and just trying to get the hang of it. Thanks for letting me know. My iPhone doesn't show all the categories very well either. Posted it onto breeding as I've already been told. How do you ask/ who do you ask to delete?

I'm new in here and just trying to get the hang of it. Thanks for letting me know. My iPhone doesn't show all the categories very well either. Posted it onto breeding as I've already been told. How do you ask/ who do you ask to delete?
a moderater or admin,you can just report it and ask them to delete it

Deckape said:
She absolutely is pregnant. Hard to tell how far along.

FWIW, its recommended to keep one male for every 3 females. This is to give her a break so to speak.

I only keep one male in my 55 gallon along with 5 females. He is very attentive and thats why he has more females...Maybe if you dont already have it, get some floating breeder grass (artificial or live). The fry like to hide from the adults so they dont get eaten..

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I had 2 males and 1 female from a friend but one male has gone back today and the pair look much happier. I'd read that the fry like to hide so I got some floating grass type stuff today but thought it looked messy so I've burried it to look like a normal plant. Hope it will still grow ok? What do you think?

alLexX said:
a moderater or admin,you can just report it and ask them to delete it

I've found it! On the options bar next to the name/subject. Thanks for letting me know.

Jaxi said:
Hi, Thanks for your comments. I had 2 males and 1 female from a friend but one male has gone back today and the pair look much happier. I'd read that the fry like to hide so I got some floating grass type stuff today but thought it looked messy so I've burried it to look like a normal plant. Hope it will still grow ok? What do you think?

Man I know about not much on plants myself. I got some the other week from my buddy. I actually have sword tail fry now and they are in the watersprite and artificial floating bush things.

Deckape said:
Man I know about not much on plants myself. I got some the other week from my buddy. I actually have sword tail fry now and they are in the watersprite and artificial floating bush things.

I'll have to see what happens and let it float if it doesn't work or get over my obsession for tidiness!!

You know, you could always set it in the substrate. Mine hide at the surface and the bottom. Oh and when the females about to give birth she swells up until her stomach looks like a rectangle and then she goes into hiding.

zooking12 said:
You know, you could always set it in the substrate. Mine hide at the surface and the bottom. Oh and when the females about to give birth she swells up until her stomach looks like a rectangle and then she goes into hiding.

That's true! I just found 5 more hiding in the plants in the gravel. So I learned something too.

zooking12 said:

I've put it in the substrate so now we've got hiding places top and bottom. Thanks for the advice on her. I'm watching her like a hawk but don't think she's rectangular yet. Will keep you posted.

I've put it in the substrate so now we've got hiding places top and bottom. Thanks for the advice on her. I'm watching her like a hawk but don't think she's rectangular yet. Will keep you posted.
Well, i guess she doesn't have to be rectangular. I guess it just depends on the female. But once she starts hiding:hide:, thats probably when. And what do you plan on doin with the fry?

zooking12 said:
Well, i guess she doesn't have to be rectangular. I guess it just depends on the female. But once she starts hiding:hide:, thats probably when. And what do you plan on doin with the fry?

I'm not sure yet as this is my first litter! What do you call it in fish terms...can't be litter! I'll see what happens and how many survive. We've build a hatchery out of a coat hanger and an old pair of tights but I'm all for nature doing it's thing so don't know if we'll use it yet. Do you use one? What do you do with yours?

I'm not sure yet as this is my first litter! What do you call it in fish terms...can't be litter! I'll see what happens and how many survive. We've build a hatchery out of a coat hanger and an old pair of tights but I'm all for nature doing it's thing so don't know if we'll use it yet. Do you use one? What do you do with yours?
First off, I think its called a brood.(y) And I don't do anything with my fry. I used to use a separate aquuarium for my 10 gallon. But now their in a 40 and the fry can hide pretty well for the most part. Many survive because my swords don't really "hunt" them. Their too lazy:rolleyes: Just keep maybe 1 bushy plant and they'll be fine. You don't even have to feed them special... they eat what reaches the bottom/ top (respectively). And they grow in no time so its not long before their big enough to not be swallowed.

Sounds good and easier than I thought to look after them. Do you keep all of them?

No. I cant. Way too many... well , when the tank was well planted. Now its a couple of peices of driftwood and im restocking my inventory. Every couple of months i sell all but a few.

zooking12 said:
No. I cant. Way too many... well , when the tank was well planted. Now its a couple of peices of driftwood and im restocking my inventory. Every couple of months i sell all but a few.

Umm interesting! How do you sell them and how old are they when you do? Is there alot of inbreeding going on or doesn't it matter with fish? Sorry keep throwing these questions at you!

Umm interesting! How do you sell them and how old are they when you do? Is there alot of inbreeding going on or doesn't it matter with fish? Sorry keep throwing these questions at you!
No... its okay. I don't think it matters in fish. My pet store and I have a deal where I give them fish for store credit... well, after being a well known customer for about a year. I also get a few customers every know and again asking for fish. I'm thinking about starting a small business.

Back
Top Bottom