Pregnant swordtail help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marvin4o9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me if my swordtail is about to give birth?? She does seem kinda squared off and is hanging around the heater

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425513297.937153.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425513335.940819.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425513349.874512.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425513435.015181.jpg

And if I should maybe move her to the breeding box right now? And if so how long can she generally stay in the box? Thanks for the help in advance!!

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Don't want to stress her out and have her drop the fry before they are ready :/ but I think I'm gonna put her in the breeder box now

Maybe wait a day or two. She looks like this is her first time so you don't want to stress her out a lot or she could die.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

She does look pretty squared off. But I'm certainly no expert on swordtails, I'm alot better with guppies. My best guess? She may have about a week left. If you wanted to put her in the breeder box, you probably could. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Maybe wait a day or two. She looks like this is her first time so you don't want to stress her out a lot or she could die.

How do I upload a video on here? And yeah it's her first time not many fry in there, my guess would prob be like 10 fry or less lol

She does look pretty squared off. But I'm certainly no expert on swordtails, I'm alot better with guppies. My best guess? She may have about a week left. If you wanted to put her in the breeder box, you probably could. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Yeah I got a video but I have no idea how to upload it on here, but I prob let her go and give her a day or two, I'm sure guppies and swords along with platies and mollies are the same, what other signs should I look for?

The hard thing was catching her, if I wait till she's ready to pop and try to catch her she might release them trying to get away right?

Probably a few more days.

Okay I let her go back into the tank and she went back to the heater and well now she is scavenging for food on the rocks :p gonna keep having an eye on her

Yeah I got a video but I have no idea how to upload it on here, but I prob let her go and give her a day or two, I'm sure guppies and swords along with platies and mollies are the same, what other signs should I look for?

Signs of labor are clamped fins and heavy breathing.

The hard thing was catching her, if I wait till she's ready to pop and try to catch her she might release them trying to get away right?

She probably won't release them trying to get away.

Signs of labor are clamped fins and heavy breathing.

Okay yeah I had read heavy breathing which I thought she was doing but seeing her now she's breathing normal and going about her business

Day number two now of waiting to see if she's ready

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425577714.009452.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425577736.262038.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425577751.413201.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425577766.247428.jpg

Wow it looks like she could give birth today. I would recommend to leave her in the main for the first time because 1 it could stress her out so much she could die and 2 you won't have as many fry you need to find homes for (but don't worry you will have at least a few fry to raise). To get the max amount of fry feed the tank a little more than usual and the fry won't look as enticing also try to have as many hiding places as possible for the fry. Finally she will probably give birth at night so first thing in the morning look for fry.

i would recommend lots of plants it really helps out. and if you want to put her inn her own area get another tank, what is your tank temp?

Wow it looks like she could give birth today. I would recommend to leave her in the main for the first time because 1 it could stress her out so much she could die and 2 you won't have as many fry you need to find homes for (but don't worry you will have at least a few fry to raise). To get the max amount of fry feed the tank a little more than usual and the fry won't look as enticing also try to have as many hiding places as possible for the fry. Finally she will probably give birth at night so first thing in the morning look for fry.

Thanks but still nothing yet, yeah she isn't gonna have many this time around, and so far I been feeding the tank egg yolks and just bought brine shrimp to keep them nice and full, gonna put her in a breeder box hopefully just in time for her to give birth

i would recommend lots of plants it really helps out. and if you want to put her inn her own area get another tank, what is your tank temp?

Right now it's at 75-78 more on the 78 side and hmmmm right now I barely have any plants, still can't decide on what plants to get

good ones are, anacaris, Anubis, cambombia, java fern, java moss, there are alot, go to your lfs and tell them you setup and ask for some beginner plants. green cambogia is great but impossible to find in some states.

good ones are, anacaris, Anubis, cambombia, java fern, java moss, there are alot, go to your lfs and tell them you setup and ask for some beginner plants. green cambogia is great but impossible to find in some states.

Gonna have to google to see which one I like better, also I got two 36" floramax bulbs, think those are good enough for low to medium plants

I'm starting to guess that this one might be pregnant as well?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425685638.028818.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425686072.793358.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425685652.212022.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425685652.212022.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom