Pregnant Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think one of my neon tetras might be pregnant. I'm not sure though, I've tryed looking for photos of other pregnant neons, but I cant find any. Has anyone got any you can show me?

Also, what do I need to do if they are pregnant?

I dont own another tank, so I was wondering how long they take to develop their babies and give birth.

First, I don't think that neon tetras give birth, but that they lay eggs. It seems like your neon is a female, but I think that it's somewhat unlikely that she would lay eggs in your comunity tank, since they are difficult to breed. Then, even if she were to lay eggs, if you don't have a breeding tank to put the eggs in, your fish will eat them. If you were to decide to breed them, you would probably need to use a breeding tank with very good water conditions and then take the adults out as soon as they've spawned, then the fry hatch in 24-36 hours. There are plenty of good websites and books about how to breed tetras. So I think that for now there's no need to worry that your fish looks pregnant. HTH!

I highly doubt that your neon is pregnant. Neon tetras are very difficult to breed. What does the fish look like? Just a swollen belly? are the scales sticking out like a pinecone?

Just really fat, sorta like a buldge under its belly or where it should be, it even looks like its filled with tiny dots

I highly doubt that your neon is pregnant. Neon tetras are very difficult to breed. What does the fish look like? Just a swollen belly? are the scales sticking out like a pinecone?

Hey i noticed that my tetra seems fat as well, almost like its belly is hanging too low... when looking at it's underside, I notice that there is an empty gap underneath it's gills. Is this what you mean by sticking out like a Pinecone?

Yes, that is what I mean. Instead of the scales being flush with the body, the protrude and this makes the fishy look like a pinecone. If this is the issue with you, your fish probably has dropsy, adri_dand. A quick net search on dropsy will key you in onto what it looks like and how to treat it. If you have any questions about treating, or if that is really the case, post a little thread in the sick fish forum 8)

No, it's still alive, it just is alot smaller now :S and it stays in one place and just swims around a bit

Back
Top Bottom