prego guppies info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratsinmyfreezer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 2 "female" guppies from pet store about 2. months ago. Now my step mom pointed out that one is preg. Cous of the black spot on her rear end and she's nice n plump.
I'm thinking about keeping them. How should I go about doing this?

Hello rats...

Hopefully, you have a fairly large tank. 30 gallons or larger would be nice. Go to the pet store and see if they have a plant called "Anacharis". It's also called Common Water weed. Get as many stems as you can, they're really a cheap plant, but a good one for your new Guppies. Remove the lead strip and just drop the stems into the tank.

Keep the water very clean by removing and replacing half the tank water with pure, treated tap water every few days. Start feeding your females a little bit of food a couple of times every day.

These steps should get you off to a good start.

B

Hello again rats...

If you start feeding all the fish a little more and a little more often, the adults will generally show little or no interest in the fry. I've kept Fancy Guppies and Corydoras for several years and never move pregnant fish to another tank. It's too stressful for me and for the fish.

Just feed a little more and a little more often than you normally do and do your large, weekly water changes faithfully. The floating plants will grow and there will be good hiding places for your females and the little ones too. The other fish will be well fed and won't bother the fry.

B

Hello rats...

Floating plants (not Anubias) are very important to female "Livebearers", like your Guppies and to their fry. I keep several tanks and all have areas with thick floating stem plants. Anacharis is a fast grower and makes good hiding places where the pregnant females can feel separated and more comfortable. The fry when born, will swim to the top of the tank for a breath and go to an area on the surface that's heavily grown, for protection.

If you've already got such a tank, then no problem. If not, then you need to get some floating plants if you want a high fry survival number.

B

If you want to keep as many fry as you can then I suggest getting a breeder net from the store, or using a regular net and setting it in the water. That's what I'm doing with my 3 fry.
Remember to feed the fry small amounts multiple times a day.

Attachments

• image-976043757.jpg
    image-976043757.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1102812627.jpg
    image-1102812627.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom