Prego Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
bought a platy this weekend I thought was just fat, but she keeps getting fatter so I guess she is preggo, bought her like that. I put her in a breeding trap, dont know if it is to soon or not, here are some pics of her, about how long do u think it will be before she has them? should I keep her in breeding trap for now or let her in the community tank and put her in it later??

Attachments

• platy_002_222.jpg
    platy_002_222.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 29
  • platy_003_973.jpg
    platy_003_973.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 27
It's hard to tell how much longer, she does look fairly pregnant. Sometimes the breeder trap will stress a fish and make her hold onto her fry. Does she seem stressed at all? Moving her back and forth may be more stressful than leaving her where she is if she isn't stressed.

she seems fine, floating in the same spot most the time and moving around alil, very calm. When she first saw my male swordtail she started swimming around alot but calmed down.tried to feed her flake food and she wouldnt eat, scooped up the food and gave it to my main tank.

there seems to be something wrong with her now, she has a yellowish discoroation aroud her lips. what would be the cause of this and is it fixable?

First test your water parameters and post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results. When was the last time you did a pwc? Whenever I notice something not right about my fish I always do an immediate pwc of at least 25-50%. Just precautionary, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Is her mouth swollen or just yellowish? Is there any cottony growth to the yellowness?

looks like a male from that anal fin. i have one just like that, thats a male. it could be bloating. dont feed for a day or 2, to allow the intestines to clear out

Back
Top Bottom