Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question about molly

Ok so I had two female mollies and one male in the brackish water tank with moray eel. One of the females got eaten oops! Well now I have one male one female, the female looks very pregnant (I will get pics and post them). Her belly looks like it is getting rub off by male he is always trying to get her. He is getting this spot on his head between his eyes I don't know if it's him rubbing his black off from rubbing on her all the time or what, is that possible? I put him in a separate tank today, when I did water change. What should I do?

Old 10-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best ones I could get!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2308524449.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	58050   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2916829445.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	58051  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-482411282.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	58052  

Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
I keep 3-4 females per male. My male continually mates with my females so I wouldn't have more than one because my females get a little rest and its a bit more peaceful tank. I know when my male is out of the tank the females seem much more relaxed.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

She has actually calmed down since yesterday. I am still trying to figure out if she is preggo.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes agree with the above post. And also yes she is pregnant congrats!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichildlife View Post
Yes agree with the above post. And also yes she is pregnant congrats!
Good to know thanks y'all
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
I keep 3-4 females per male. My male continually mates with my females so I wouldn't have more than one because my females get a little rest and its a bit more peaceful tank. I know when my male is out of the tank the females seem much more relaxed.
You make a good point. Males will become aggressive if there isn't a good male to female ratio present. The ratio is up for debate but my experience leads me to think that it's different from male fish to male fish. The minimum I would recommend is 2 females for every male. You may continue to see aggression from the male. At that point I would continue to add females until the aggression is reduced.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNeil1969 View Post
You make a good point. Males will become aggressive if there isn't a good male to female ratio present. The ratio is up for debate but my experience leads me to think that it's different from male fish to male fish. The minimum I would recommend is 2 females for every male. You may continue to see aggression from the male. At that point I would continue to add females until the aggression is reduced.
When I first started the hobby I didn't know what I was doing and went and pointed to fish cause they were pretty and the guy at Petsmart "guessed they should get along fine." After sorting things out, rehoming a few fish, upgrading my tank size, and researching here on Aquarium Advice I couldn't get to the store fast enough to get more females! I had one female and one male and she was pestered every waking moment.... I came home with two more females and he was much happier... as were his little ladies

Tags
molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com