Question for the people who breed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GrimmGoby said:
Have you ever sold your fry to your lfs? Do they come to you regularly for fish fry?

No, mine wouldn't buy my fry or even give me credit. They said they'd take them off my hands for free if I had too many. How nice of them :s

My lfs took my last batch of platy fry in exchange for fish food. I'm hoping they'll do the same with my bronze cory fry.

I actually emailed a few lfs & asked if they were willing to take the fry of me. Only one said they would, they rehome kittens etc. I wasn't expecting anything in return. When I gave them the fry, I was asked what I would like in return, so I chose food.

Few years back when I had a female oranda! (died 2 years ago at age 10 :() I was able to successfully breed them! And my Lfs brought them and gave me store credit :)

It all depends on the type of fish, how common they are, what stock they have at the time, how well they sell and how much money they can.make. I have sold cichlids to a couple lfs and it depends on what they already have and how much they could make. You'd definately get more store credit than cash.

My lfs gives you store credit after determining how much he will sell them for and then he basically slashes that price in half and gives you store credit per fish. He's a pretty good guy and you can use the credit for fish or hard goods. Granted sometimes some fish are more desirable than others. Either way he is a pretty generous guy.

I sell my fish to the LFS, but depending on how much he buys and how quickly the fish sell determines when I'll bring more. I breed african peacocks, oscars and honduran red points. The problem is most stores won't take fry so I have to raise them till they're 1.5-2" before selling. Which for what is cost for food, electricity, and time it's almost pointless. Where I make my real money is selling the fry on Craigslist, there I can sell fish around .5" and sell them quicker freeing up more tank space.

Just spoke to the manager in my lfs & she's going to take my red wagtail platy, & bronze cory fry in exchange for food.

Back
Top Bottom