Questions about pregnant Molly and some fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irishfishlady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a pregnant Molly. I had her in a breeding net until this morning as we woke up to find that apparently another fish gave birth. So now we have 5 fry. We have no idea who the Mommy is either.

How long should the fry stay in the net?
How can I know when the Molly is ready to give birth?
Can the fry be mixed as in if it was my Guppy that gave birth and then my Molly does can they be in one net as fry?
Can I put the Molly in the dry net while she gives birth?

Ok I think that that is all the questions for now.

Be careful when putting fish in the net. It stresses them out and can cause them to prematurely release the fry... As far as mixing guppy and molly fry, you will be fine... I had some guppy, molly, and platy fry in the same 10g until i got rid of them with no problems.

i love new molly fry as much as my cichlid fry love to eat the ones i dont need. i breed for color and if they dont make the cut the become dinner but now i got a 50 gallon community tank that some will be housed in.

becareful with the fry, too many in a net(which arent very good anyway) will kill them. but moving them around too much will kill them to. i learnt the hard way. after moving 28 babies several times into different tanks and adding a filter half way through i lost them all within 5 days :(. so now my prego molly is in the 5gallon fry tank so they arent moved once :D

mollies will go squarish on the tum, isolate themselves and get a dark(er) gravid spot in their "anal" area.

hope this helps :)

I let mine hatch in the tank the fry will hide and then when i do weekly cleaning and water change i scoop them out and check the filter too.

Back
Top Bottom