Quick GBR Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to attempt to induce a spawn. I've been feeding dried bloodworms(all i've got on hand right now) lately to bulk up on proteins. Now i'm ready to do a Big PWC to induce a spawn. My question...does warm or cool water work better at doing so?

Thanks,

Mike

GBRs prefer warmer water, 80-82 degrees. I hold my tank at 80 and have had spawning success, although never made it past the egg stage.

You will want to do a fairly large PWC with cooler water. You should use cooler water as it simulates the rainy season which is when the fish would nourmally breed. GBR's do like warmer water (I have mine in 84 degrees) but I always get spawns when I change mine with cooler water.

bs6749 said:
You will want to do a fairly large PWC with cooler water. You should use cooler water as it simulates the rainy season which is when the fish would nourmally breed. GBR's do like warmer water (I have mine in 84 degrees) but I always get spawns when I change mine with cooler water.

+1 on the cool water inducing a spawn.

I think the eggs must really be in some LOW ph LOW TDS water, or they get fungus as well as a hardened outer shell. Ask JDogg, I think he has had success...

Acidic water isn't necessary but soft water will help. I have hatched out quite a few GBR eggs with a pH between 7.0-7.2. I have learned the best thing to do to prevent fungus is to keep good circulation in the tank. Actually, I have heard keeping the eggs in a quart size mason jar (canning jar) is pretty adventageous as you can aerate the water eadequately by adding an airline from a pump and feeding is much easier as the food to water ratio is much greater than if the eggs were in, say, a 10 gallon tank. I think I am going to try this with my next spawn when I try to induce one (once my 125 gets set up) and I am going to feed the fry something a litte different than the BBS that most people suggest. I have a feeling the shrimp are too large (even the smaller BBS strain) for the fry to consume.

As best as I can tell this is all good info. Where I differ is method. I tend to like to try a more natural approach with habitat. The pair get placed in a tank with a sand bottom, drift wood, and what ever plants can be kept in a low light tank with no ferts (nitrate is not a friend of fry). So far the only thing I have ever done to induce spawning is to give the pair someplace to spawn on. Blood worms (frozen)once a day along with flakes for a second feeding. Water 80-82 F.

So much of this I think is personal taste and you will hear about how a bare bottom tank is the only way to go. For me it seems so un-natural. These fish like to dig and will sometimes dig out a spot to place their wigglers. If that makes the fish comfortable, then why not give it to them.

Back
Top Bottom