Ram breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You WERE right!!! Although they DID lay eggs when sectioned off by the divider, it was too close of quarters. The male still has the red splinter thing, but they are both colored up, she is getting rounder, and they're cleaning and defending the castle! Lol! I think I'll put the castle in their tank when it's done. Last worry: is it possible they require another fish bothering them, in order to WANT to breed? The female seems to only like it if she gets to fight other fish to protect the eggs! Anyhow, I'm really hoping the males red thing isn't a worm, but they seem a lot happier now! Thx everyone :)

Ur rams are pretty. I'm trying to get mine to color up. They're skittish and show stress lines :mad:.

You WERE right!!! Although they DID lay eggs when sectioned off by the divider, it was too close of quarters. The male still has the red splinter thing, but they are both colored up, she is getting rounder, and they're cleaning and defending the castle! Lol! I think I'll put the castle in their tank when it's done. Last worry: is it possible they require another fish bothering them, in order to WANT to breed? The female seems to only like it if she gets to fight other fish to protect the eggs! Anyhow, I'm really hoping the males red thing isn't a worm, but they seem a lot happier now! Thx everyone :)

Lol so impatient. They will breed when they want to so just give it time, they already paired so the hard part is over. Adding more rams will not help just cause more jealousy and you may lose one or two as a result. As I mentioned earlier, get some Indian almond leves as these are your best bet at getting them into the spawning mood. If you get them two spawn twice in one month you'd be quite lucky so just relax and let nature take its course.

Well, I'm far from expert, but I will pass on others advice: check you water parameters. Blue rams can't handle ANY ammonia or nitrites. Under 10 nitrates. Also, they have to have adequate space and SOFT water. Ph changes are a no-no. Lol. I love them almost as much as my angels, but I sure pick difficult fish!!! Don't stick 2 male rams of ANY type together unless they're babies. Make sure they get algae or veggies in their diet. No nippy tank mates. Did I miss anything? Honestly, my male has a red thing stuck to him, so I may not have them a week from now. But I am sure enjoying their beauty as we speak :) I just did a water change. The rams are back to defending the castle! Lol

Attachments

• image-4142330881.jpg
    image-4142330881.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image-3288530387.jpg
    image-3288530387.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image-941322302.jpg
    image-941322302.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 45
And...agreed! I'm too impatient! :) my bf's convicts had babies, so I'm jealous too! I'm letting them be. (Praying the red splinter is nothing), and enjoying my tank :)

How long have you had them? Can you post pics and describe your tank, parameters and all.
(Feel free to PM me your advice. Don't want to hijack

Ill post pics when the lights turn on tonight. Tank is 30 gals and tank mates are 5 rosy barbs and a really chill angelfish. Params are 0-0-10. They usually rise to about 20 before I do a waterchange. It's decently planted.

Here's a pic of the tank. I have a lot more plant growth since this pic. Ignore the low water level, I was gone over the weekend and I had a waterchange in 2 more days.

Attachments

• image-1736264223.jpg
    image-1736264223.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 52
No worries on hijacking...I do it all the time. Lol. Besides, I learn from other people's questions/answers too! Pretty tank. I love natural look. Don't rosy barbs get huge tho?

(Feel free to PM me your advice. Don't want to hijack

Ill post pics when the lights turn on tonight. Tank is 30 gals and tank mates are 5 rosy barbs and a really chill angelfish. Params are 0-0-10. They usually rise to about 20 before I do a waterchange. It's decently planted.

Here's a pic of the tank. I have a lot more plant growth since this pic. Ignore the low water level, I was gone over the weekend and I had a waterchange in 2 more days.

Yeah Rosys get up to 6 inches long so don't forget to rehome them once they get larger. I'm assuming since you have a ice group of them they don't bother your rams or angels?

Just had to add this, since my rams looked so pretty this morning. They really are happy when I do a water change. I also have switched to an api pellet (that has garlic and etc in it) to hopefully help with the nitrates. I'd like them to stay under 10. Anyhow, this is a flash pic with the lights off. Aren't they simply marvelous?

Attachments

• image-2479362487.jpg
    image-2479362487.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 42
Yes very. It's funny most people say the male has better colors than the female but I find my female has the BEST color. Her pink is extremely bright, her speckles glisten constantly, and the dark black stripes really contrats well with the rest of the yellow and blues.

Yeah Rosys get up to 6 inches long so don't forget to rehome them once they get larger. I'm assuming since you have a ice group of them they don't bother your rams or angels?

They haven't grown since I got them from the LFS. They're about 3" and I don't think they're getting any bigger. I've heard people say they get anywhere from 3" to 6"...

I have 5 of them and the nipping is very occasional and it's between eachother.

Absolutely agree! My daughter named out female "Sahara" because she's exotic...and wears "make-up". Lol (daughter is 6). Anyhow, I love her colors. The pink makes her blue look purple at certain angles. My fav color :)

My rams HATE my 2 denison barbs. The little rams color up any time they, or the Bolivian ram, come near them. I have a pretty decent sized angelfish, who just wouldn't play nice with the other angels. I moved her to my 30 gallon that has tetras and barbs. I know she should be in a bigger tank, but I've never seen her happier! She just wants to be the only angel. My point is: she stopped growing. Not sick-like....just hasn't grown much. The angelfish in my 55g are now bigger than her, even though she was the biggest before I moved her. I think fish wont grow as fast, or as much, if they're in a smaller tank. They also don't thrive, or live as long....so you have to weigh your options. I do water changes every few days on the smaller tank, and silver (the angel) starts twisting and lowering her dorsal if I slack off and go more than 4 days. Your rosys may grow more in a bigger tank, but if their happy and healthy, then cool. I don't know about adding more fish tho. Most people (including myself) will tell ya german blues are finicky fish. If your water isn't soft, with no ammonia or nitrites, and really low nitrates....they won't be happy, and won't be as colorful. They're gorgeous fish, but they require extra care. Can you upgrade to a bigger tank? You can always try to keep them in your 30g, just be prepared to do more water changes, and make sure there's a return policy at your lfs, in case they don't do well. I love mine, but if they die, I'm not sure I'll replace them. Bolivians aren't quite as pretty, but they are certainly not as fussy about perfect water. Just my opinions :)

Back
Top Bottom