Ram eggs/fry? What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burger Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, a few days ago I realised that my rams seem to have laid eggs on the 3d background of my 20g hiGH. I think the eggs might haveIMG_20170718_164944_HDR.jpg hatched, what shouLD I do? Will tankmates eat them? (10 pygmy cories, 10 otos and some bladder/pond snails). Should I do anything to the filter?
I have Vids but don't know how to send them.

German blues and Bolivian rams are usually very good parents and will protect their nest and fry until they determine a time to abandon.
The listed tankmates aren't typically aggressive and the ram parents should be able to fend them off.
As for feeding the fry, just grind up one small flake of quality fish food to almost a powder consistency. Don't over feed, a little food goes a long way.
I suggest just relax and enjoy. You must be doing a good job with your tank, for the rams to spawn and nest.
Often times even experienced fish keepers have difficulties getting their rams to spawn.
Good luck.

Update:
The rams moved all their fry to a place on the driftwood. They stayed there for about 6 or 7 hours then all the fry gone. Can't find them. What happened?

Most Cichlid parents have the ability to herd their fry to hiding places. Some actually suck the fry up in their mouths and spit them out in a safe place. Sometimes the parents, especially the males, eat their own. First time parents are more unpredictable.
Even if the fry are gone, your rams are a mated pair, and will likely continue to produce babies.

They laid eggs again hehe. Haven't hatched yet but when they do how should I feed? Any special whatever I should do?

Just take one small flake of quality fish food, grind it up to an almost powder consistency. Feed very sparingly, they don't need much.
Have fun, hope this helps.

With the exception of 1 batch the only ram fry I have ever raised I removed from the parents.Rams are not very good parents anymore.
We the breeders have broken them and they just don't easily raise fry.
I have seen many batches make it to different levels ,but never besides on a rare occasion do they last for more then 1 month.
For first food I offer baby brine shrimp a couple times a day for first 2 weeks soley and then I start to offer the first dry foods of proper size.
Good luck ,rams are pretty tough to raise.

Back
Top Bottom