Ramshorn snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anything about them would be appreciated. I just got some in this morning. 30 of them! How quick do they breed? What size do they start to breed. How many do they have. Etc

I had some a year back. They bred easily and lay flatish (the type I had at least) egg clusters of 4-20 on the tank walls and such. You can see as little baby snails grow inside and eventually hatch. (Hatching time is a few weeks depending on water temp.) You can even see the babies moving inside. The snails can breed at a very small age and you'll sometimes see two 'hooked' up together. They like carrots if you feel like throwing one in. If you have bad water quality it can make their shells permanently "scratched" and whitish looking, unlike the clear clean normal color. These guys have a lot of waste, so just a warning! :) I've had two varieties, one was easy to get rid (red ramshorns) of but the other has become a nuisance because they are in my filter. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Ramshorn Snails

Anything about them would be appreciated. I just got some in this morning. 30 of them! How quick do they breed? What size do they start to breed. How many do they have. Etc

Hello Dyl...

These snails are a great addition to your tank. I've kept them in my planted tanks for several years and they're the best clean up crew I've ever had. Mine eat all kinds of algae and old plant and fish material.

You have to be careful not to overfeed your fish, because these snails reproduce very quickly and before long, they'll pile up in the corners of your tank. The largest ones I have are the size of a dime and they come in several colors.

I feed my fish just a little twice a week and my snail population is just right.

B

Hello Dyl...

These snails are a great addition to your tank. I've kept them in my planted tanks for several years and they're the best clean up crew I've ever had. Mine eat all kinds of algae and old plant and fish material.

You have to be careful not to overfeed your fish, because these snails reproduce very quickly and before long, they'll pile up in the corners of your tank. The largest ones I have are the size of a dime and they come in several colors.

I feed my fish just a little twice a week and my snail population is just right.

B

Thanks for the info. I have blues reds and a few striped. They are neat looking. Some even have a shiny whitish blue tint.

I had some a year back. They bred easily and lay flatish (the type I had at least) egg clusters of 4-20 on the tank walls and such. You can see as little baby snails grow inside and eventually hatch. (Hatching time is a few weeks depending on water temp.) You can even see the babies moving inside. The snails can breed at a very small age and you'll sometimes see two 'hooked' up together. They like carrots if you feel like throwing one in. If you have bad water quality it can make their shells permanently "scratched" and whitish looking, unlike the clear clean normal color. These guys have a lot of waste, so just a warning! :) I've had two varieties, one was easy to get rid (red ramshorns) of but the other has become a nuisance because they are in my filter. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Thanks I have blue red and striped. What size do they start breeding? I have them bb, nickel, and dime sized.

They look plenty big enough to me. Mine were like a bb size when they bred.

Just don't over feed or let too much algae grow. You can remove the eggs sacs and grab/smash any snails you don't want. :) i know it sounds cruel, but it's the most efficient way I've found.

Your tank looks like it's pretty clean, so you shouldn't have too much population troubles.

Just don't over feed or let too much algae grow. You can remove the eggs sacs and grab/smash any snails you don't want. :) i know it sounds cruel, but it's the most efficient way I've found.

Your tank looks like it's pretty clean, so you shouldn't have too much population troubles.

I try to keep it clean. I have a battery gravel cleaner.

Your Amazon sword

Really? I hope I don't become overrun with them.

Hello again Dyl...

Your Amazon sword will grow much better if you remove the small plastic basket and the rock wool around the roots. It needs to be planted in the substrate. Unless, you're keeping it for another tank.

B

Hello again Dyl...

Your Amazon sword will grow much better if you remove the small plastic basket and the rock wool around the roots. It needs to be planted in the substrate. Unless, you're keeping it for another tank.

B

Alright, I want mess up the roots pulling the stuff off?

Your Amazon sword

Dyl...

Just use a pair of scissors and clip the little basket so you can remove it. The rock wool shouldn't really be in the tank, it has no benefit to the plant. You can peal it away from the roots and throw the wool away.

Trim the long roots to a bit more than an inch and carefully push the gravel aside to make room for the plant and cover the roots. A couple of inches deep or a little more should be good.

B

Dyl...

Just use a pair of scissors and clip the little basket so you can remove it. The rock wool shouldn't really be in the tank, it has no benefit to the plant. You can peal it away from the roots and throw the wool away.

Trim the long roots to a bit more than an inch and carefully push the gravel aside to make room for the plant and cover the roots. A couple of inches deep or a little more should be good.

B

Thanks, I'm done. It was easy. Dyl

They look like blue. Remember, the more food available, the faster and more eggs they will lay. I started with 2 and was over run in a couple months. Luckily i have an Oscar and a cray that like snails...

They look like blue. Remember, the more food available, the faster and more eggs they will lay. I started with 2 and was over run in a couple months. Luckily i have an Oscar and a cray that like snails...

Yea I have a carrot for them to eat too. It's fine if they breed. I will just give them away to people I know and I'm going to sell them on the local yardsale website for 10 cent. I now have 12 eggs patches. And I just got a heater for the tank and I think that encourages breeding. If it gets to bad I might get a fish that eats them.

Back
Top Bottom