RCS and CO2 and stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumpnfishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have what I call my "failed plant tank". It has a good substrate, compact florescent lighting, lot's of plants, all coated with algae. I use a DIY CO2 system that did seem to give the plants a little boost in growth.

I just ordered my first batch of 25 RCS on aquabid and was going to make this their home. It's a 30 gal long so I'm thinking this could support a few hundred once they establish a colony.

Questions:
Should I continue the CO2?
I have a couple of very happy Ottos eating the algae, will they be OK with the RCS?
What would be the best filtration? I have bubble filters, a small HOB available but I know some say filtration is not that important if you do regular PWC's.
Finally, I have very hard water, but I do have RO available, which is best for RCS?

Thanks
Dennis

CO2 won't harm RCS. They can live in a pH of 6.0 or less.
Ottos should be fine with RCS.
Best filtration for breeding purposes is a sponge filter or two. I don't do regular water changes on my RCS tank (10g every 3-4 weeks in a 29g tank)and they won't stop reproducing.
RCS do best in moderate to hard water.

Thanks bs6749. My RCS should show up today. Looking forward to another aspect of this hobby / business. :rolleyes:

One other item I've read and wanted to see what others think.

Is it a good idea to order more RCS from another breeder to make sure the colony is mixed? Would this make for a better survival rate? What have others found when establishing a colony?

Thanks
Dennis

When I got my RCS colony I ordered from 2-3 different breeders to ensure that my colony was really red. It doesn't really increase the survival rate, just the quality of the colony. My colony is very nice quality and both the females AND the males have lots of red to them. It is uncommon for the males to have as much red as mine do.

If you are looking for more shrimp you should check out my ad in the classifieds section. I've got free shipping on right now and if you paid me today you would have the shrimp by Friday at the latest since you are in Indy. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...all-shrimp-yellow-shrimp-for-sale-117913.html

Please note that I have new prices towards the bottom of the thread.

Back
Top Bottom