Red Wag Platy..Pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuaTree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a red wag platy female and i have had her for nearly a month and she has been growing a lot, she always looks like she is about to pop! i put her in a breeding net but i am not sure is she is pregnant, overfed or if that just how platies are? First time having platies so could she be pregnant or what? Advice would be great because if she is pregnant i want to save the fry, b/c my fiance doesnt want them eaten! haha:fish2:

It may be over feeding I had a Red Platy that was huge for 4 days. She went to the bathroom and was tiny again

Thanks i feed them once a day flakes and bloodworms twice a week, she is pooping white and what almost seems clear than regular again is this a health issue, she isnt showing any signs and she is very active but it is a little worrying

Pregnant platy?

I've got 2 plates that I've had for nearly a year and one of them grew a lot a few months after I had it. It looks very pregnant all the time!
Been like it ever since, seems healthy enough though. I don't over feed and the other platy is quite a bit smaller. Maybe the big one eats all the pies!!

So platys are just fat? haha, i even fasted my red wag for 1-2 days they only shrank a bit, they still look huge though! max maybe 1.5"inches very rounded bellies!!

chances are that you are experiencing breeding without even knowing it.
platies will spawn every 4-6weeks, and may keep their "baby fat" in the time that they aren't pregnant.

i speak only from personal experience :)

Pretty sure my "fat" one is a male! He's a Mickey Mouse platy.
Think I saved my Betta today! Couldn't see him anywhere in the tank, only place he could be was inside the hallow log and one of the apple snails was blocking the entrance. There's a plant growing through the middle of the log so if he was in there he was trapped.
I moved the snail (a large one), and moved the log and, hey presto, there he was! He was very lethargic and floppy but recovered after an hour or so, and is now back to chasing the platies and keeping them on their toes (fins)! Thank goodness for that - thought I was going to loose him!

If her waste is white or clear and stringy, this is a sign of internal parasites. Possibly worms. No fun, I had parasites go through my tank a year ago, fully recovered now but it was not good. I had a female platy that had nematodes and was preg. Hopefully not the case but is always a good thing to be aware of.

If her waste is white or clear and stringy, this is a sign of internal parasites. Possibly worms. No fun, I had parasites go through my tank a year ago, fully recovered now but it was not good. I had a female platy that had nematodes and was preg. Hopefully not the case but is always a good thing to be aware of.

Well my platy is pooping normal now and i have cut back on the amount of food i feed my fish. I had herd somewhere that white poop means pregnancy but not 100% sure. Even if my platy has pooped white once that i have seen is that still a possibility for worms? and what is nematodes?? AND what do i do to combat these illnesses?

It's good to hear that she is digesting normally. Just keep an eye on it. It is always good to take note on these things as many people don't realize that fish can get parasites and once they have them, it's not easy to get rid of them unless you know exactly what parasite it is. Nematodes are worms that will eventually make your fish blow out and die..they affect the intestines and digestive system. When a fish has them, it appears they are holding fry but instead are holding these worms. There are many medications that can treat parasites, from cheap to expensive but I advise not to treat them unless you are sure there is something going on.
Nematodes are hard to get rid of, at my own discretion, I used a dewormer for pigs. Dosed it, turned the light off for 2 days and then did a 100% water change.
Prevention is always key. Keep the water clean and avoid feeding live foods that are from outdoors as they could be carrying parasites.
Just something to keep in mind.:fish1:

Thanks Kepo

Wow i would have never guessed fish getting worms, and i have always wondered about nematodes i always though it was made up! I have started to fast my fish 2times a week because my 2 red wag platies just are huge bellies. They look a bit more normal now and they both are active! So i found something by Kent and it is Kent Garlic Extract you add to food to make fish want to eat and it says it helps fight off parasites! ?

Several months ago I started with 3 Platies, now have 14. Mickeys are funny. Swordtails will interbreed with Platies. You need to keep 3 females to one male, and the male will be all over the female who's in breeding condition, chase her all over the tank. They're like rabbits! The male's anal fin is very skinny compared to the female (her's is wide). Females can store sperm in their body for a yr. so if yours is getting fatter, its likely pregnant. Do keep the water changed and then add recommended drops of Ick & parasite prevention, keep on the warm side, feed only as much as they'll eat in two min. They'll nibble on live plants too, also drop in tiny pieces of raw hamburger, salmon or tuna shredded in your fingers and watch 'em turn into lil' pirhannas! lol. There's lots of websites how to care for Platies. They don't eat the fry so much if you feed mamma more when she starts to guard a spot in the back corner or under the plants. The fry will escape and hide fast into fernlike plants. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom