releasing the fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi there ,

they usually hold for around 3 weeks . when my females are holding i pout them in a tank of their own until she releases the fry that way she will feel safer doing so . then being in a tank full of fish that might eat her fry . once she releases i put her back into xcommunity tank .

Unfortunately they are still in the small community tank. Havent set up my 75, it will be sometime for me to get all the parts. Anyways on my small tank I have a tetra whisper filter will a breeder box hook up to the that specific filter okay?

I did the same thing. This was my very first experience with a Cichlid holding fry. My Callochromis Stappersii Raspberry Head female just had fry about 2 weeks ago, maybe 3, I lost track LOL - anyway, when I noticed she was holding which ended up being a 3-7 days before she was ready, I actually netted her and put a bowl underneath her in the water - she was so good - and I carried her over to my 10 gallon shrimp tank. She hung out there for a few days and then she started chasing shrimp away, snails away, and would even check out anything on the ground so I knew she was clearing out an area and making sure it was safe. She did this for a couple days and then it was Saturday and I did a water change on the tank and she spit them in the corner in the java moss. So, I missed it! :( I was sooo sad, but as I putting plants back in place I seen a little fry swimming and I said "Well hello!" and then there were 5. I left her in the tank for about 1.5 days and then I put her back on the main tank and the little stinkers are growing so fast. Sooo cute. So, I guess when she starts really making the area safe she's pretty ready - oh and I could see them in her mouth so bad that she was holding them over due I think. I would see fins and tails and everything moving around in her mouth as she couldn't even keep it closed it was so full. When she was holding she chased other fish away but when she was ready to spit, she would swim over a piece of food even and the back up and check it over nose to food and make sure it wasn't a threat. Her demeanor was much more aggressive of making things safe around her, if that makes sense to you. Hope that helps.

I added the breeder box, it hooks up to the air stone put the female in there. She wasnt pleased but finally relaxed. This am I was observing her and she dropped some eggs but then snatched them right up again. Is this normal? And how much longer before the eggs will hatch?

I did the same thing. This was my very first experience with a Cichlid holding fry. My Callochromis Stappersii Raspberry Head female just had fry about 2 weeks ago, maybe 3, I lost track LOL - anyway, when I noticed she was holding which ended up being a 3-7 days before she was ready, I actually netted her and put a bowl underneath her in the water - she was so good - and I carried her over to my 10 gallon shrimp tank. She hung out there for a few days and then she started chasing shrimp away, snails away, and would even check out anything on the ground so I knew she was clearing out an area and making sure it was safe. She did this for a couple days and then it was Saturday and I did a water change on the tank and she spit them in the corner in the java moss. So, I missed it! :( I was sooo sad, but as I putting plants back in place I seen a little fry swimming and I said "Well hello!" and then there were 5. I left her in the tank for about 1.5 days and then I put her back on the main tank and the little stinkers are growing so fast. Sooo cute. So, I guess when she starts really making the area safe she's pretty ready - oh and I could see them in her mouth so bad that she was holding them over due I think. I would see fins and tails and everything moving around in her mouth as she couldn't even keep it closed it was so full. When she was holding she chased other fish away but when she was ready to spit, she would swim over a piece of food even and the back up and check it over nose to food and make sure it wasn't a threat. Her demeanor was much more aggressive of making things safe around her, if that makes sense to you. Hope that helps.

So exciting! I cant wait til she releases her fry. Im still unsure who was the father. Imm hoping my dragon blood because hes a beauty.

Back
Top Bottom