rosy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have three adult size red rosys in a extra large net that is forcing them to stay near each other will they mate if kept this way?

No, Its cruel to keep them in a net where they are confined. Fish will try and escape and will most likely get injured.

Ok well what's the best way to get these fish humping? I'm tired of buying feeders from petsmart

Why do you want to breed them?Many people think these fish merely scatter their eggs around, this is not true, and their breeding is far more complex. To induce spawning all you really have to do is provide a 16 hour photo-period with 8 hours of darkness, this with a good diet of things like bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia is all it really takes. When ready to breed the males will develop a spongy pad around their head (hence the name fathead) with breeding tubercles on top. These tubercles look like small white bumps or pimples. He will also turn dark in color, almost completely black. The male will then stake out a territory. He will defend the cave and try to attract a female with the use of pheromones. He will also dance in a figure eight pattern. Once a female decides she wants to spawn with him he will lead her into the cave where they will spawn on the roof of the cave. Sometimes more than one female will spawn with a male. The male will care for the eggs, rubbing them with his spongy nape and snout in order to keep them clean. Spawning usually occurs in the morning. What you choose to do with the fry is up to you, chances are the success rate will be higher is you move the eggs to another tank and place them next to an air stone. You can also keep them with the male but remove the others and remove him after they hatch. The young can be fed Artemia nauplii, Hikari first bites (or other baby fish food) and finely ground flakes.

I want to breed them because they are used as feeders for my dat bichir and barracuda

Barracuda? wat.

What size tank do you have? Datnoids get really huge. Additionally, you shouldn't be feeding live foods unless you have to. You risk disease and fatty livers from giving them goldies and rosies.

The dat eats them more as a snack supplement to his usual krill the red tailed barracuda will ONLY except live food I've tried and he just won't eat anything else the dat is a juvenile he is currently housed in a 55gal temporarily untill he gets bigger the barracuda is in the 40gal by himself and some snails

Back
Top Bottom