Saltwater molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard of mollies being out in salt water... And I'm not looking to it but it's it possible for them to give birth in saltwater

Yes it is possible, but it's not exactly theyre natural environment. They like a little salt, no where near what we have in sw. They do live in sw though, garf.com has been doing it for a while. I don't think they spawn as readily in a salty tank, but I could be wrong.

needmorecowbell said:
Yes it is possible, but it's not exactly theyre natural environment. They like a little salt, no where near what we have in sw. They do live in sw though, garf.com has been doing it for a while. I don't think they spawn as readily in a salty tank, but I could be wrong.

They are frequently used to cycle saltwater tanks and are reef safe as far as I know
They add a little bit of unusual surprise to a tank
Plus they are inexpensive

Yep, I think the sailfins look pretty in sw but they shouldn't be expensive.. You can acclimate them yourself. Just use a small fresh tank and add salt very slowly. It should be ready in a month.

I disagree with cycling with fish now that I understand what it does, it doesn't matter how hardy/cheap the fish is.

needmorecowbell said:
Yep, I think the sailfins look pretty in sw but they shouldn't be expensive.. You can acclimate them yourself. Just use a small fresh tank and add salt very slowly. It should be ready in a month.

I disagree with cycling with fish now that I understand what it does, it doesn't matter how hardy/cheap the fish is.

Inexpensive means not expensive
I would never ever cycle with fish again, I lost a total of 30 fish fish in cycling
I didn't say I would cycle with them just that many saltwater keepers do

Inexpensive means not expensive
I would never ever cycle with fish again, I lost a total of 30 fish fish in cycling
I didn't say I would cycle with them just that many saltwater keepers do
If you lost 30 fish, you didn't fish-in cycle correctly. Lots of people fish-in cycle without hurting a single fish. Thats how I did my first tank.

To the OP, yes they can live in fully salt water and reproduce. I have never read any data about whether or not they are more likely to reproduce or not, so I can't help you with that aspect.

Lol sorry, misread.

I'm happy you won't do it anymore, most people don't once they read the articles on here. :)

There are ways to do it, but it entails very frequent water changes, which are a pain for saltwater people.

absolutangel04 said:
If you lost 30 fish, you didn't fish-in cycle correctly. Lots of people fish-in cycle without hurting a single fish. Thats how I did my first tank.

To the OP, yes they can live in fully salt water and reproduce. I have never read any data about whether or not they are more likely to reproduce or not, so I can't help you with that aspect.

I lost 30 fish cycling my tank without water changes
So no I didn't do it correctly
I did with a petsmart( whose employees max out at about 17 years old and 0 experience with fish)

Speaking as a petsmart employee, it depends on where you go. Unfortunately, when hired, you really gotta go and do your own research to figure out what's what. Most of the time, kids are just hired out of high school with no experience with fish. You always should do your own research and take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

That being said, a customer of mine has a 75 gallon sw tank and along with clowns, gobies, and some cardinalfish, she has some cremesicle Mollie, silver mollies, and I think she mentioned sunburst platies, but I'm not sure.

Talvari said:
Speaking as a petsmart employee, it depends on where you go. Unfortunately, when hired, you really gotta go and do your own research to figure out what's what. Most of the time, kids are just hired out of high school with no experience with fish. You always should do your own research and take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

That being said, a customer of mine has a 75 gallon sw tank and along with clowns, gobies, and some cardinalfish, she has some cremesicle Mollie, silver mollies, and I think she mentioned sunburst platies, but I'm not sure.

I meant my specific petsmart has those employees

I have mollies and I like them, I have both salt and fresh tanks, I have acclimated a couple mollies and kept them in a salt tank for a little while, but they didnt seem happy, the one I kept in my salt tank for a while ( a few weeks) eventually jumped out and died. It never really came out it stayed in the top corner of the tank most of the time and didn't swim around much where in the fresh tank it would swim all around. So in my experience it is possible to do mollies in a salt tank just not the best for the fish.

Im trying to figure out if in the OP he means he wants to move an already pregnant molly to a salt water tanks for birthing or wether its just possable to breed em in a SW tank but i think its the fist. eather way no dont plop her in if its just a birthing tank situation or yes aclimate her over a month or so and post lots of pics:)

daveho said:
Im trying to figure out if in the OP he means he wants to move an already pregnant molly to a salt water tanks for birthing or wether its just possable to breed em in a SW tank but i think its the fist. eather way no dont plop her in if its just a birthing tank situation or yes aclimate her over a month or so and post lots of pics:)

I'm not trying to bred them in salt I'm not trying to put them in salt and I don't even have mollies or a saltwater tank. Hahaha... But I've seen videos of this being done and I was wondering if the mollies could breed in saltwater

Back
Top Bottom