Scarlet Gem Badis Breeding Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I recently got myself a pair after finally seeing these in person and finally decided to attempt breeding them. They're currently in a 20G all by themselves but I'd like to downsize due to other projects and space requirements. I've done some reading and am a little unsure on what an appropriate size tank is. I've read that some people successfully bred them in 2.5 gallon plastic containers on one end and 10G heavily planted aquariums on the other.

I can get my hands on a 2.5G spec but am worried it will be too small.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not bred these fish first.
If the intent is to breed them and then move the adults, then I would think it could work.
Water quality needs to be top concern along with the fish compatability in such small tanks.
In comparison,I have bred GBR in 5 & 5.5 specs for the last year as my smallest tanks.
10gs work well but remember the fry need to be able to find food easy so the bigger is not always the better in the first month of raising the fry.

Good luck!(y)

Hmm, I may try the spec and see how it goes. Right now my main concern is getting the pair to eat. I started them on bloodworms and I did catch them grabbing a few of the smaller pieces. However, I wil transition to frozen daphnia and cyclops as I've read that foods like bloodworms and tubifex cause obesity and make them more prone to develop disease.

I'll try to get some photos of them soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the tank

18912567268_8513fb6f5b_b.jpg

And the inhabitants...

19103526771_b9744e10c1_b.jpg

19100216695_8e7d7495ec_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom