Selectively breeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello again AA! I just won a ten gallon setup on a youtube contest, and I want to breed yellow half black guppies. I was thinking of equipping the 10 with a divider and a sponge filter on each side (one side for males, one side for females. I was also thinking of buying another 10 for the same purpose, but this ten would be for a different line of the same color strain, so I could cross breed occasionally so I have healthy offspring. I was then thinking of buying another 5 or 10 with a sponge filter to use as a grow out tank for fry. The reason for the dividers is so I can breed when i have the time to, because with I don't want to be overloaded with fry. When the fry grow up, I would separate the males and females for selective breeding purposes, so I can pick what male to bred with what female. I have a 2.5 i could use as the breeding tank. Does sound like an ok breeding setup?

Selectively breeding guppis

If you want to maintain a strain, you are going to need-
2 10 gal
3 5 gal
1 2.5 gal

That's what I'd use. The tens are for growing out male and female fry separately. One five is for a trio, one for birthing, one for your second trio for outcrossing. The 2.5 should be for Newborn fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want to maintain a strain, you are going to need-
2 10 gal
3 5 gal
1 2.5 gal

That's what I'd use. The tens are for growing out male and female fry separately. One five is for a trio, one for birthing, one for your second trio for outcrossing. The 2.5 should be for Newborn fry.

Thanks! I was thinking of getting my two lines from quality guppies and angels plus. Are these good breeders?

Ehhhh... Hold on I know of some good ones I'll pull them for you

Dr.Frank only has pastel yellows, and quality guppies only has normal yellow

He has half black yellows, Rankin line and quality guppies has them too- right at the top of the page. Maybe we are discussing different fish- send me a pic of the ones you want to breed

2Q==
These are the fish

Could divide the males and females so they don't breed all the time? I would like to decide when they breed.

The Yellow Half Black are gorgeous!

I would go for a larger, maybe a 20 high for the fry grow out (even larger depending on how many mommas; 40G breeder divided males and females as you can sex them).

You need awesome filtration. The fry need numerous feedings per day and multiple drops by females can leave you with soooooo many babies of all different sizes, and all that can be a recipe for disaster in a smaller tank. The clean water and plenty of room will help with growth rates.

As a positive, a guppy fry tank is an awesome place for a Bamboo shrimp...constant fine food in the water and constant water changes keeping water in excellent parameters = happy Bamboo shrimp!!!

The Yellow Half Black are gorgeous!

I would go for a larger, maybe a 20 high for the fry grow out (even larger depending on how many mommas; 40G breeder divided males and females as you can sex them).

You need awesome filtration. The fry need numerous feedings per day and multiple drops by females can leave you with soooooo many babies of all different sizes, and all that can be a recipe for disaster in a smaller tank. The clean water and plenty of room will help with growth rates.

As a positive, a guppy fry tank is an awesome place for a Bamboo shrimp...constant fine food in the water and constant water changes keeping water in excellent parameters = happy Bamboo shrimp!!!

I was thinking about separating the males and females, so they don't breed constantly, so i just wanted to stick to one batch at a time, and raise them with a ten gallon. Ill take the bamboo shrimp into consideration for sure.

If you are paying for shipping, you might want a couple trios or find a friend to split the costs on the order, otherwise it is so expensive for those fish with shipping. Quality sells no matter though, so I would recommend finding the best quality you can afford. People will buy a quality fish just because it is so impressive to behold!

Congrats on your win for the new tank and good luck and skill for your breeding!

Thank you so much everyone! :lol: It will be awhile ( Probably after Christmas) before I start this project. I am actually going to Aquatic Experience Chicago next weekend, and there will be an IFGA show there. I can't wait to see what amazing fish people can breed! I will be sure to make a thread when I start my breeding project. Maybe if I breed guppies, I can get a worthwhile profile pic. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom