Separate eggs from the parents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish just laid eggs. I'm not sure which. Either cherry barbs, black neon tetras or possibly the angels. How do I care for the eggs? Should I separate them? Would a 2 gallon be ok or should I set up a 10 gallon? Do I run a filter or some form of aeration? Do I need a particular lighting?

Are the eggs all in one place? What were they laid on? What are the specs/params of the tank? A 2 gallon would be fine right now. No lighting is needed that I know of. Setup a bubble wall or bubble stone next to the eggs. When you move them make sure they stay in the water.

It is my angels!! I removed the eggs so I can't put them back now. Is there anything in particular I should do?

it would be best to add a sponge filter that is already seeded with bacteria, but since it sounds like its too late, u shud monitor the water closely. just keep an eye on them, once they have hatched and are free swimming you'll need to feed them. hatched brine shrimp would be the best to feed, frozen will be ok too. Just make sure not to let it foul the water. Dont feed them until they are free swimming; the food will only go uneaten and rot while they are 'wigglers'. we sell frozen brine shrimp at work,

ben

Thanks. I put the eggs back in the tank because one of the angels was looking for them. I went through all this effort to keep the eggs under water while transfering them and the other angel ate them all. Will they eventually stop eating the eggs after they lay them?

Its hard to say but i would say that eventually they most likely will.

With some cichlids it takes them a few tries before they get it right and stop eating them. Cichlids will eat the eggs when they feel that something is not right and or are stressed. Theres multiple reasons to why they would eat the eggs.

Angels can take more then a couple spawns to get it right. If you want to have angel fry for sure the best thing to do would be to remove the eggs from the parents and let them hatch and raise them in another tank alone. If not just let the parents keep trying, although to be honest I've heard many times that it can take a while.

Don't worry about the parents looking for the eggs or anything like that. The pair should remain and spawn again in the future. Another thing is make sure you actually have a pair. Often two female cichlids will lay eggs together not knowing the other is not a male. The eggs then will become white and fungus. Any eggs that fungus usually get eaten. Did the eggs turn white at all?

Also just thought id say i meant baby brine shrimp is waht you should be feeding the fry. Sorry i just mentioned brine shrimp in the last post :oops:.

Goodluck, I hope you have a pair and they spawn again. If my apistos do again and i can get the eggs out maybe we can trade some fish :wink:

Back
Top Bottom