Setting up to breed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olandrew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I want to start breeding guppies & want to start getting into the breeding hobby !

I used to have a tank with goldfish a few years back so I have some experience with tanks.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to get started and recommend some stuff, like tank size, what kind of filters, etc. I'm starting from scratch and my memories a bit shot!

(I have a 10 gallon tank already btw)

I appreciate your help !

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

The big question is what are you going to do with the babies? One female can produce 30+ fry a month, and she does not need a male ... as they store sperm up to 12 months.

What do you suggest ? As I said I am only starting now...& possibly would like it to become something I do for profit but for now it's for the experience.

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

Depends on what kind breeding you want to do, you can get specific strains of guppies, or whatever you think is cool at the store. It's honestly more of just something that happens, unless you are very selective in what you want and are looking for you can literally just get a female from a store and you'll have babies.

I would read a lot of stuff about breeding, the different strains and stuff while you cycle your tank. If you end up going for a strain you're going to be looking at setting up a few more tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would breeding be a profitable hobby to get into?

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

prego guppies

hi there, i have a pregnant guppy in a ten gallon, i have the tetra whisper internel filter in the tank ( i find it does the best job) im thinking my guppy will give birth in the next week or so. I heard that i can put pantyhose over the filter part, so when they are born it minimizes chances of getting sucked up. Thoughts"?????

:fish1:

prego guppy

how long do you think she has still she delivers?

prego guppy

how long do you think she has till she gives birth?

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 60
Mouse if you want a better chance of having your questions answered I would suggest starting your own post or using the search function to did out more about guppy gestation.

As to the breeding profitability, it really depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to get, you'll get the most money out of breeding specific strains that are good quality, but you'll be looking at a more in depth breeding plan, multiple tanks (or tubs) shipping and selling online, that kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright sounds good I'll look into that when I have my own place ! Haha thanks !

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

Back
Top Bottom