Sex of platy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been getting batches of platy fry for the past couple of weeks and I've noticed they're all female. I did my research and found out that platy can change the sex from female to male, well it happens when the gonopodium develops. I can't find a definite answer on how long (on average) does it take for the gonopodium to develop? I'm just concerned because I have a lot of fry and they're in my female platy tank, I just don't want to end up with more fry if one of them decides to develop a gonopodium. At what age do the males start to mate?

I am not 100% on this but IMO they are ready to go when you see it...
It is a daily battle for me to sort my swordtail juvis..I have 9 varieties and some show gonopodium in 2 months and others still nothing after 4-5..
There are also 'late bloomers' that will stay hidden males due to [IMO] Growth Inhibiting Hormones produced by the alpha males...Possibly as long as a year !

I am not 100% on this but IMO they are ready to go when you see it...
It is a daily battle for me to sort my swordtail juvis..I have 9 varieties and some show gonopodium in 2 months and others still nothing after 4-5..
There are also 'late bloomers' that will stay hidden males due to [IMO] Growth Inhibiting Hormones produced by the alpha males...Possibly as long as a year !
How do you know if they're going to stay female? This is so confusing lol

I have a few batches myself. The males fin will be a little longer, thinner and stay closer to their stomach.

The females will stay in a fan position for a longer period of time. If you have quite a few platies there will usually be a few of each gender. Between 2-4 months you will begin to see distinction between the genders.

I have a few batches myself. The males fin will be a little longer, thinner and stay closer to their stomach.

The females will stay in a fan position for a longer period of time. If you have quite a few platies there will usually be a few of each gender. Between 2-4 months you will begin to see distinction between the genders.
I have added a photo. Hopefully this helps a little. These platies are about 4 months old.

Attachments

• 1490891349845.jpg
    1490891349845.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 188
The moment they develop that gonopodium. Also, inseminated females can hold sperm in reserve, so you can still get fryweeks after removing the males.

Trust me, I've been dealing with that... :drinking:
I'm dealing with that with my guppies. Lol

Back
Top Bottom