She must be getting close.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got her a week ago. She looks very pregnant to me. Do you agree and if so how long before you think she'll have her fry! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406261721.460356.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406261745.451866.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406261765.881759.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

She does look pregnant for sure! She should have them within the next week or two by the looks of her.

Hopefully she lives long enough. I'd guess by size she's older, possibly the largest I have including her length

How do I know when to put her in the breeding net

Well you don't really have to as the stronger fry will survive. If you want a lot to survive, just try to net as many fry as you can when she gives birth and provide heavy plant cover (hornwort, anacharis) so that they can hide.

If you put her in the box, the stress may cause her to abort them.

oh dang it.. she has been in the net for 2 days ... i put her there because the males were chasing her like horndogs... i freaked out for her safety.. i hope you get this and reply before i head to bed.. I will take her out and hope for the best if that is what is suggested to me... come on folks help this newbie and mama to be... please

Make sure you have lots of plants and places for the babies to hide if you keep them in the same. I agree with not using the box/net/whatever for the momma. They can abort or hold them in and they all die from stress

after reading that post i let mama out... i dont have much for plants. i am new at this. i have a couple fake and i have anachris thats pretty new so it is only a couple pieces right now. On a good note i dont work in the summer months and i am alone on weekends so i will be even more tentative than normal. i will try and get them out and in a net then transfer them to my baby tank...
i brought home a pregnant rosy red feeder fish in hopes of saving her and the babies.. not sure what happened, how or when but she is no longer pregnant.. :( not that i wanted a dozen feeder fish but i hate the idea of them being trapped, its different in the wild...
anyway nice to meet you neighbor... your about 1 1/2 hours from me...

she is out but all the boys are chasing her like horn dogs.. i feels so helpless. she just keeps swimming away from them .. i am guessing that stress is going to get the best of what could be a beautiful experience.. im pretty sad about this...

Sweet!

Hmmmm what is your ratio of female to male? Usually 3:1 is suggested. Or even more females so the male won't constantly chase after the same one (sorry if we covered this already and I missed it)

We haven't covered that yet. I have 3 male to 1 female. One male I was in the female tank, I realized when I got home. The tail fins not as fanned as most males. I have been given and told some very bad info at the stores to the point of the fish being labeled wrong. Thankfully someone here helped me in identifying my fish. Anyway I set up a 10 gal nursery for the baby fry. Really any help, tips, advise and suggestion are more than welcome. Either here or through private MSG. Thank you all

I would definitely add more females or see if they will trade a male back. If you have 3:1 male to female it means all 3 males will chase her! I would get more females ASAP!! They might peck her to death if you don't. Sometimes 2 female for every male is ok so at a minimum with 3 males you would want 6 females.

thank you... another thing i was misinformed on as i was told vise versa. i didnt realize how challenging fish keeping would be... very enjoyable at the same time.

It's tough at first but once you get the hang of it you will want another tank lol

Each fish type is different too so as you "master" one type you'll probably see another type you want to get into. It is a never ending cycle :)

I do want another... I currently have the 29 gal housing the tetras and guppies, a 20 gal long which holds an African Albino frog and a couple goldfish, and i just set up an emergency 10 gal nursery tank which is holding some baby fry guppies, and some baby to very young endlers.. oh what a great deal i got on those. talk about luck.. thats all i can say about them, i hope they make it as they are young and i got them right after they were released from their bag that the order came in.l did lose 2 of them the first night.. but got a dozen for 4.00 ... now thats luck..

another fish having babies????

so i have this neon belly looks larger but doesnt look like dropsy, is anyone able to tell if she is carrying eggs if so what kind if any special care does she need. this is a huge surprise to me. from what i read they lay 100's of eggs and honestly i dont want 100's of anything except monies...

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back