Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
My Silver Lyretail girl Charger is changing shape slightly...
I've had her since end of September and she had one batch that was born overnight and eaten, and then a batch on November 1st-- I saved 15.

She's mated several times over the last few months but hasn't shown pregnancy.
I was watching her and she happened to swim up to the light and saw what looked like a black shadowy clump of coal on the bottom of her belly... I'm noticing this time she appears what I think might be a Gravid spot also... I know these pics aren't super obvious and I notice slight changes in her, but just curious what you guys think..

Attachment 74423

Attachment 74424

Attachment 74425

Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

She doesn't look gravid to me, but its easier for you to tell of course because you see her everyday. And, if you saw her mate its only a matter of time! Either way, she is a very pretty girl.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
She doesn't look gravid to me, but its easier for you to tell of course because you see her everyday. And, if you saw her mate its only a matter of time! Either way, she is a very pretty girl.
Thank you! I look at other Silver Lyretails in the store and they aren't as perfectly gorgeous as she is... Okay, maybe I'm biased... Haha. Yea, Cesar definitely got her several times that I saw right in front of me... (Cruella was his favorite) RIP Cesar...
Yea.. Looking at pics it goes against what I'm saying... Lol...
We'll see!! I told her she'd better give em up. It's her turn! Cruella throughly agreed! Cruella's had 5 batches since i got her on Sept 11th!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I told Charger to grow her babies and show me her belly and she has! She's a bit more "full" looking and I can see a clear black Gravid Spot when she turns, especially in the light...

Updated pics

Attachment 75279

Attachment 75280

Attachment 75278

Attachment 75281
Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Yeah, I agree that she looks a bit more full now. Pretty girl.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I agree that she looks a bit more full now. Pretty girl.
I love her it's been 3 1/2 mths since her last batch... She's very frugal with her eggs...
Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Lol, I guess that is so you appreciate them more......?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Lol, I guess that is so you appreciate them more......?
Haha... She's a clever one...
I was devastated when her entire 1st batch was eaten and then was thrilled when I was able to save 15 from the 2nd batch on Nov 1st.
Cruella churns them out... It's time for Charger to make a donation
Old 02-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Lol!
It does look to me like she is gravid again though, so hopefully she gives you some nice fry! Any idea who the father is, or will Charger be making an appearance on the Murray Povich show?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Lol!
It does look to me like she is gravid again though, so hopefully she gives you some nice fry! Any idea who the father is, or will Charger be making an appearance on the Murray Povich show?
Hahah!! Cesar was my only male... Dalmatian Daddy... In Last batch (I lost all but 2 silver in the mass fry loss) most were pure silver ... But a few were silver with a pencil thin black line on top fin... If last 2 silvers survive will be fun seeing how their colors grow into adulthood...
Any case he's father of this batch also...
Are we to expect penguin babies? LOL white with black fins?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #11
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Well, penguins would be cute! If I was you though I would expect mostly silver babies again though. Lol.
I don't really know much about dominance of coloration in molly genetics, so I was curious.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well, penguins would be cute! If I was you though I would expect mostly silver babies again though. Lol.
I don't really know much about dominance of coloration in molly genetics, so I was curious.
Not sure how it works either except in my own experience I got mostly Silver with those few pencil lines and regular tails. With my Creamsicle I got half creamsicle and half had a more shiny/metallic mix of
Orange/gray with some appearing almost a dark peach. Although in both the silver and creamsicle batches there were some that had faint light black splotches like they had rubbed against a paint sponge.. just Cesars genetics pulling thru... None had a Dalmatian baby...
I'm Contemplating what color male to get... Stuck between Silver & Black...
Whatever male will be lucky to have 5 females waiting for him... Although I'd better choose a larger male if I can find one because Cruella doesn't put up with any unnecessary shenanigans!
She told my betta to stop chasing someone else with a smack of her tail.. Lucy instantly stopped! This Dominant female has a betta backing down to her. LOL
She's a good girl as long as no one challenges her dominance...
Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #13
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Interesting. I had dalmatian females and got dalmation offspring, but I never knew who the fathers were since i bought them gravid. I have heard that dalmatian males are hard to find, but I don't know if thats true or not.
Yes, either male will be quite lucky! Lol.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Interesting. I had dalmatian females and got dalmation offspring, but I never knew who the fathers were since i bought them gravid. I have heard that dalmatian males are hard to find, but I don't know if thats true or not.
Yes, either male will be quite lucky! Lol.
Hmm... I've never heard that... I got my Dalmatians at Petsmart... As well as my other mollies with the exception of the black one, Vixen, who came from Petco.

I hear Black is a dominant color.... Not sure about silver... I'd find out regardless because I have both a silver & black female, and see what happens with breeding to a silver or black male..
Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #15
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Yeah, you will have to keep me updated about how it goes!
I am sure there is some info out there about molly genetics, I just haven't read a ton of it. I guess I should probably get on that so I can be more helpful! Lol.
Let us know how Charger is progressing! Hopefully she doesn't hold onto the fry forever like some of your mollies tend to do. Lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

She's getting bigger by the day!

Attachment 75474

Attachment 75475

Attachment 75476

Yea... You see how big Cruella is getting?? LOL... she just had a gigantic load last month... Missed entire thing with my betta in the tank...
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I see what you mean! Charger is definitely getting bigger. I hope you get some nice little fry soon! Has she been with a male anytime recently, or is she using stored sperm?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I see what you mean! Charger is definitely getting bigger. I hope you get some nice little fry soon! Has she been with a male anytime recently, or is she using stored sperm?
Cesar died about 6 wks ago... Her last batch was Nov 1st... It's still his stored...
Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin

Cesar died about 6 wks ago... Her last batch was Nov 1st... It's still his stored...
What happened to him
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadams87

What happened to him
He fought Camallanus for 6-8 wks and recovered ... I moved him back into my main tank with my 5 females... My Dominant female Cruella was Cesar's favorite... He had always been a persistent one with the females... Hence me having FIVE.. Well, she decided to kick his.... fin... They flipped and smacked and smacked and nibbled at each other ... For several minutes... Just assumed it was Cruella putting him in his place for trying to mate so much when clearly said no. They had brief scuffles before and all was well..
He appeared okay afterwards but within a dew days his sailfin was torn off... It was starting to grow it back but one night he didn't greet me at the front of the glass... I looked in the colosseum and he was on his side already gone... My betta Lucy was laying with him looking quite confused...

Pics of fight:

Attachment 75674

Attachment 75675

Attachment 75676

Tags
molly, pregnant, silver molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com