Silver Molly Pregnant...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Silver Lyretail girl Charger is changing shape slightly...
I've had her since end of September and she had one batch that was born overnight and eaten, and then a batch on November 1st-- I saved 15.

She's mated several times over the last few months but hasn't shown pregnancy.
I was watching her and she happened to swim up to the light and saw what looked like a black shadowy clump of coal on the bottom of her belly... I'm noticing this time she appears what I think might be a Gravid spot also... I know these pics aren't super obvious and I notice slight changes in her, but just curious what you guys think.. :)

View attachment 74423

View attachment 74424

View attachment 74425

She doesn't look gravid to me, but its easier for you to tell of course because you see her everyday. And, if you saw her mate its only a matter of time! Either way, she is a very pretty girl. :)

absolutangel04 said:
She doesn't look gravid to me, but its easier for you to tell of course because you see her everyday. And, if you saw her mate its only a matter of time! Either way, she is a very pretty girl. :)
Thank you! I look at other Silver Lyretails in the store and they aren't as perfectly gorgeous as she is... Okay, maybe I'm biased... Haha. Yea, Cesar definitely got her several times that I saw right in front of me... (Cruella was his favorite) RIP Cesar...
Yea.. Looking at pics it goes against what I'm saying... Lol...
We'll see!! I told her she'd better give em up. It's her turn! ;-) Cruella throughly agreed! Cruella's had 5 batches since i got her on Sept 11th!

absolutangel04 said:
Lol, I guess that is so you appreciate them more......?

Haha... She's a clever one...
I was devastated when her entire 1st batch was eaten and then was thrilled when I was able to save 15 from the 2nd batch on Nov 1st.
Cruella churns them out... It's time for Charger to make a donation :-D

Lol!
It does look to me like she is gravid again though, so hopefully she gives you some nice fry! Any idea who the father is, or will Charger be making an appearance on the Murray Povich show?

absolutangel04 said:
Lol!
It does look to me like she is gravid again though, so hopefully she gives you some nice fry! Any idea who the father is, or will Charger be making an appearance on the Murray Povich show?

Hahah!! Cesar was my only male... Dalmatian Daddy... In Last batch (I lost all but 2 silver in the mass fry loss) most were pure silver ... But a few were silver with a pencil thin black line on top fin... If last 2 silvers survive will be fun seeing how their colors grow into adulthood...
Any case he's father of this batch also...
Are we to expect penguin babies? LOL white with black fins?

Well, penguins would be cute! If I was you though I would expect mostly silver babies again though. Lol.
I don't really know much about dominance of coloration in molly genetics, so I was curious. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Well, penguins would be cute! If I was you though I would expect mostly silver babies again though. Lol.
I don't really know much about dominance of coloration in molly genetics, so I was curious. :)

Not sure how it works either except in my own experience I got mostly Silver with those few pencil lines and regular tails. With my Creamsicle I got half creamsicle and half had a more shiny/metallic mix of
Orange/gray with some appearing almost a dark peach. Although in both the silver and creamsicle batches there were some that had faint light black splotches like they had rubbed against a paint sponge.. just Cesars genetics pulling thru... None had a Dalmatian baby...
I'm Contemplating what color male to get... Stuck between Silver & Black...
Whatever male will be lucky to have 5 females waiting for him... Although I'd better choose a larger male if I can find one because Cruella doesn't put up with any unnecessary shenanigans! ;-)
She told my betta to stop chasing someone else with a smack of her tail.. Lucy instantly stopped! This Dominant female has a betta backing down to her. LOL
She's a good girl as long as no one challenges her dominance...

Interesting. I had dalmatian females and got dalmation offspring, but I never knew who the fathers were since i bought them gravid. I have heard that dalmatian males are hard to find, but I don't know if thats true or not.
Yes, either male will be quite lucky! Lol. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Interesting. I had dalmatian females and got dalmation offspring, but I never knew who the fathers were since i bought them gravid. I have heard that dalmatian males are hard to find, but I don't know if thats true or not.
Yes, either male will be quite lucky! Lol. :)

Hmm... I've never heard that... I got my Dalmatians at Petsmart... As well as my other mollies with the exception of the black one, Vixen, who came from Petco.

I hear Black is a dominant color.... Not sure about silver... I'd find out regardless because I have both a silver & black female, and see what happens with breeding to a silver or black male..

Yeah, you will have to keep me updated about how it goes!
I am sure there is some info out there about molly genetics, I just haven't read a ton of it. I guess I should probably get on that so I can be more helpful! Lol.
Let us know how Charger is progressing! Hopefully she doesn't hold onto the fry forever like some of your mollies tend to do. Lol.

I see what you mean! Charger is definitely getting bigger. :) I hope you get some nice little fry soon! Has she been with a male anytime recently, or is she using stored sperm?

absolutangel04 said:
I see what you mean! Charger is definitely getting bigger. :) I hope you get some nice little fry soon! Has she been with a male anytime recently, or is she using stored sperm?

Cesar died about 6 wks ago... Her last batch was Nov 1st... It's still his stored...

boadams87 said:
What happened to him

He fought Camallanus for 6-8 wks and recovered ... I moved him back into my main tank with my 5 females... My Dominant female Cruella was Cesar's favorite... He had always been a persistent one with the females... Hence me having FIVE.. :) Well, she decided to kick his.... fin... They flipped and smacked and smacked and nibbled at each other ... For several minutes... Just assumed it was Cruella putting him in his place for trying to mate so much when clearly said no. They had brief scuffles before and all was well..
He appeared okay afterwards but within a dew days his sailfin was torn off... It was starting to grow it back but one night he didn't greet me at the front of the glass... I looked in the colosseum and he was on his side already gone... My betta Lucy was laying with him looking quite confused...

Pics of fight:

View attachment 75674

View attachment 75675

View attachment 75676

Back
Top Bottom