smallest tank for breeding bristlenoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha ya if i could do that i would be very happy. So what do u suggest? Both albino, black, or brown? Or what mixes would u suggest?

I would get both albino if it were me. They are more striking to look at and more popular IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
I would get both albino if it were me. They are more striking to look at and more popular IMO.

And i bet they sell for more too!

I believe longfin is recessive also, if it is that simple.

PETCO isn't going to buy your fish, and don't expect a fortune if you do find a place, if breeding and selling were that easy then everyone would be doing it. Not trying to shoot you down, just being realistic.

Yeah. I'm sure you can find a pet store to take them, but most places just give store credit rather than straight cash, and even if they do give cash, they are probably only going to pay 1/3 or less of what they charge for the fish at retail.

Chain stores don't buy fish, some might take them in as rescues, but they don't buy them or trade for anything.

Well i want to breed them... But when they grow up i wanna sell then, and that cant happen :/

I wasn't saying that you won't be able to sell them, just wanted to say that it's not a simple cash cow, otherwise everyone would be doing it. That said, you can still sell them just fine online, and even locally if you find a LFS who will work out a deal with you.

Your best bet is to pick an uncommon strain to work with, and you could even try to strike up a deal with a LFS owner prior to choosing what species you are going to do, to get an idea of what they are looking for.

Ohh good idea! There is a family owned lfs that always ships in fish and i know the owner. Are albino bn plecos rare?
Cuz i can never find them!! I bet that pet store will have a deal with me because they never have albinos

Okay i have set up the tank! I have 2 10 gallon filters as well as 2 10 gallon heaters in it. I put lots of caves in there!
Would this be good a good breeding enviroment for 2 bristlenose plecos??? How could i make it better?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Okay i have set up the tank! I have 2 10 gallon filters as well as 2 10 gallon heaters in it. I put lots of caves in there!
Would this be good a good breeding enviroment for 2 bristlenose plecos??? How could i make it better?

Hahaha! Like the sign! IMO I'd ditch the rocks and go for something smoother. They like to chew/rasp on things with their mouths and the rocks might do them some damage. Get some wood for them they like to chew on it and it helps their digestion. You can make caves from unglazed terra-cotta pots cut in half. They make perfect caves.

Oh thanks! And haha ya i have a big pieco of drift wood, but thats the only thing i have oter then those rocks! :( can i put the wood in and keep some of the rocks

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Oh thanks! And haha ya i have a big pieco of drift wood, but thats the only thing i have oter then those rocks! :( can i put the wood in and keep some of the rocks

Id definitely put the wood in and if you want to use some rocks, pick the smoothest ones. Do you live somewhere you can collect so rocks? When I want something for my tank I go out to the back yard and just have a look around. Lol.

Hahahahah good idea. And the wood makes the water yellow and gross!! What do i do abt that?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hahahahah good idea. And the wood makes the water yellow and gross!! What do i do abt that?

Boil it or soak it in hot water changing the water every time it becomes really dark. You can also put it through the dishwasher (no soap!) if you have one. That will help bring the tannins out. The tannins don't harm your fish at all.

Back
Top Bottom