smallest tank for breeding bristlenoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha thanks! And oh ya? Haha thanks for tellin me! I didnt buy it, someone gave it to me and i thought it was worth a shot :D

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh when you stock keep an extra close eye on params. I'm guessing you'll be adding mature bnp. They will have a lot of waste.

Haha ok thanks! I will test my water alot :D

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha yup! I just called 10 pet stores and NONE of them have albino bn plecos. Its a joke

Order them in or order on line. I went to 5 pet stores last week looking for panda cories and ended up ordering some in at my favorite LFS.

Yeah, so if you want albino get both albino. If you want both get one of each and you may get some albino. If you want brown/black get both brown/black and they may throw some albinos if they both have the gene.

albino pairs can have brown and black babies WITHOUT any albino babies.................:(

i had my pair in a 29G........and on 2 spawns, i got only BNs, calico, L3 L144s, and 1 albino.
the first spawn was ALL browns........

and ppl don't realize, but the original BN plecos(found in wild) used to be 9" or so, but so much inbreeding has created the species which we today call normal BNs

few ppl out there know this and even fewer own them.......there is a seller out there on aqubid

TheFishBoss97 said:
albino pairs can have brown and black babies WITHOUT any albino babies.................:(

i had my pair in a 29G........and on 2 spawns, i got only BNs, calico, L3 L144s, and 1 albino.
the first spawn was ALL browns........

and ppl don't realize, but the original BN plecos(found in wild) used to be 9" or so, but so much inbreeding has created the species which we today call normal BNs

few ppl out there know this and even fewer own them.......there is a seller out there on aqubid

Wow really???? Thats unfortunate! Haha i guess i will try my luck!

=

The more likely explanation is that there are multiple species all being lumped into the 'bristlenose' category. It's not likely that most people can be bothered to look at very minute differences to differentiate between some L #s, they are still working on it with some fish species here in the US so I can imagine how it'd be in more remote parts of the world.

I've seen a lot of BN plecos and none of them have ever been more than 4 or 5".

Line breeding can create different traits but there wasn't some accidental 'dwarfing' of all the BNs in the trade caused by inbreeding.

@ the OP , I have ABNs at the shop but they are very small still, probably won't be breeding age for another 9 to 12 months.

Hi thought of you today - Nu Nu the Eel:) My local lfs had a tankfull of albino B/Ns and i mean a tankful!:) Me mate also said when they breed they will be a mixed number of albinos and normal coloured babies,also you could get some 'mottled' coloured babies:)

Back
Top Bottom