Someone is laying eggs in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DetroitRockCity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So for the past few weeks I have been noticing eggs being layed in different areas of my 55gal, but mostly right in one spot on the front glass of the tank. They appear as clear eggs and then within a day or so turn white and look fuzzy, then my silver dollars eat them. I have 4 corys, 7 flame tetras, an otto, and 3 silver dollars in the tank. Is there any way to determine who is laying the eggs without actually seeing it happen. It seems to be happening during the night time. Also any ideas on how to keep them from being eaten would be helpful.

I've heard cories like to lay their eggs on the glass.

If they are clear for a day or so it sounds like they are fertilized, and them turning white means they are dying. The fuzziness sounds like fungus I believe which can be prevented with a medication of some sort...not positive on that though so I'd wait for another response from someone who has dealt more with breeding.

I can say with surity that yes, its your Corydoras laying!

I have bred many species of Corydoras and they do lay on the glass, or any other smooth surface, mine have even laid on upturned yoghurt pots!

Corys dont just breed in the night time, I have watched mine breed on many occassions, a female will begin to swim up and down the glass of the tank followed by the male, they are looking for a good smooth place to lay. Then they will continue to do the same but the male will be just behind the female, almost of top of her and they will mate and she will stick the eggs to the glass.

Fertalised eggs will be a cloudy in colour, unfertilised will be clear. Cloudy white means they are fertilised, not dead. If they are furry then they are rotting, a 'slow' filter wil help them survive.

If you want to breed them however, you will need a seperate snail free tank as not only will other fish eat the eggs but the parents will too as well as snails.

I find that once I have put my Corys in the breding tank and they a settled a water change, with the water being a few degrees cooler than normal, will generally induce them to mate.

Back
Top Bottom