Soon to be Angelfish father

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevkev3321

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so sometime between 6 last night and 10 this morning (when the lights were off) my angelfish laid eggs on one of my Anubias. I didn't notice a pair yesterday but today they are being really defensive.

My question is, what should I do? Should I take the plant and eggs and move them to a 10g which is already cycled? Or just leave them in the 100g with their parents?

Up to you, it is very possible the pair might not be good parents and destroy the eggs. It can take several tries and sometimes a pair never learns. The good news is once they start they will be doing it over and over again.

If you really want the fry then move the eggs.

Yea that's what I'm afraid of, and I read that if I move the eggs the pair will most likely spawn again soon. Is that true?

The white ones are fungused and no good, the clear ones are still good. The possibility exist that they are not fertilized. They should turn a yellowish color. The parents if they are on their game will eat the white ones.

Hmmm okay well they have been slowly picking the white ones off but I didn't see the eggs get laid so I don't know if the male fertilized them

When I used to Breed Angels I Always left the eggs in with the parents, they sometimes ate them but eventually they gained experience and raised them. they know how to raise their babies better than we do, so I personally would leave the eggs with them, you might lose them but then again you might not, I think it's worth ther risk to watch a pair swimming surrounded by fry. awsome!!

Pete

Like you said before, it may take several tries for the angelfish to become successful parents. I know this is frustrating, that's why you might want to try the artificial way just once. Place a slate against the wall of the aquarium, allowing easy removal foe when they do lay eggs.

it's a lot harder to let the parents raise fry in a tank with other fish, so just keep that in mind if you decide to leave them or rear them yourself.

A few things that tend to happen is the parents will have the others pinned up (smaller tank especially), and if not, the others will pick off the fry every chance they get.

I can easily just uproot the Anubias that they lay the eggs on and put it in the other tank. The main tank is 100g with 5 angels, 2 corys, 1 bolivian blue and a diamond gobi. When the eggs were there, the other fish learned to stay on the opposite side of the tank so they wouldn't get attacked, plus I have about 30 Anubias (both nana and the tall narrow ones) so there's plenty of going places for the fry

The same two Angels paired back up and laid another batch of eggs, hopefully they take better care this time :)

I sure hope so, they seem a little more protective this time and they haven't eaten any, and all the eggs are yellow

Ugh this is so frustrating, Idk if it was the parents or another fish but I woke up and there all gone, next time I'm just going to move the plant to another tank

How is the breeding going? Im in the same boat as my angels laid eggs. They were there this morning but I'm not sure as of now. I hope they make it. Good luck with your breeding.

This is crazy, it's been 4 days and they have laid another batch of eggs :) think ima let the angels try one more time and hopefully they get it right

Back
Top Bottom