Spawning Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmonih

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have several different Gouramis and are very interested in getting them integrated into our breeding program. (Our Guppies have already jump started it).

Here's my question....

How common is it for 2 different Gouramis to mate? And is it likely to happen?

We were wondering if we could pair up 2 diff. Gouramis (i.e. Pearl Male Honey Female) and encourage them to spawn. If it isn't likely to work then we will just try and spawn the ones we have that are paired up already.

In our stock...

Blue Gouramis 6 prs
Opaline Gouramis 1 pr
Pearl Gouramis 1 pr
Honey Gouramis 1 pr
Moonlight Gouramis 1 pr

The Blue are in the 90 g. The Opaline, Moonlight, & Honey are in the 55 g. The Pearl are in the 29 g.

One final question....

Do they only spawn when they are alone in the aquarium or is it possible to get them to spawn in a community well planted aquarium?

Thank you for any feedback.

msmonih said:
How common is it for 2 different Gouramis to mate? And is it likely to happen?

We were wondering if we could pair up 2 diff. Gouramis (i.e. Pearl Male Honey Female) and encourage them to spawn. If it isn't likely to work then we will just try and spawn the ones we have that are paired up already.

Very unlikely, and very discouraged....deliberately creating hybrids will make you no money or friends.

Do they only spawn when they are alone in the aquarium or is it possible to get them to spawn in a community well planted aquarium?

Both are possible, but the former is more likely, and with the latter, you rarely see any fry last beyond a day or two.

Toirtis said:
Very unlikely, and very discouraged....deliberately creating hybrids will make you no money or friends. Both are possible, but the former is more likely, and with the latter, you rarely see any fry last beyond a day or two.

No offense but we aren't trying to make money off of our Gourami spawning at this time. We are spawning for our aquariums only. If we made a hybrid then we would be keeping them. We do have a Gourami Tank and if they happen to spawn and a hybrid is made we will be very happy. So far, we do have fry in our well planted 55 g and they are doing well. I appreciate your response though.

msmonih said:
Toirtis said:
Very unlikely, and very discouraged....deliberately creating hybrids will make you no money or friends. Both are possible, but the former is more likely, and with the latter, you rarely see any fry last beyond a day or two.

No offense but we aren't trying to make money off of our Gourami spawning at this time. We are spawning for our aquariums only. If we made a hybrid then we would be keeping them. We do have a Gourami Tank and if they happen to spawn and a hybrid is made we will be very happy.

Yes, but my point being that deliberately creating hybrids (and telling anyone) will typically win you a loss of respect amongst the majority of aquarists. There is another problem too....personally keeping potentially dozens of hybrid gouramis...and what to do with them if you ever need to shut your tanks down....personally, I would hate to have to euthanise 50 perfectly healthy, but genetically polluted fish if something happened, and I had to move out of country, or became unable to maintain all my tanks foe some reason (health, accident, etc).

Toirtis said:
Yes, but my point being that deliberately creating hybrids (and telling anyone) will typically win you a loss of respect amongst the majority of aquarists. There is another problem too....personally keeping potentially dozens of hybrid gouramis...and what to do with them if you ever need to shut your tanks down....personally, I would hate to have to euthanise 50 perfectly healthy, but genetically polluted fish if something happened, and I had to move out of country, or became unable to maintain all my tanks foe some reason (health, accident, etc).

Well, I certainly don't expect you or everyone to agree with how I run my aquariums. As far as shutting my tanks down, it has been arranged already as to where each fish would go as a tank. We have prepared for that. And as far as a loss of respect among aquarists? Okay well. So be it. Again, we have a Gourami tank with a variety of Gourami, if they happen to spawn then nature will takes its course. Will we deliberately spawn 2 different Gouramis....we'll have to see. You have your opinion and a right to it. I have my opinion and have a right to it. You don't have to like what I do with my aquariums but you do have to deal with it from my point of view. If the issue bothers you so much then easily stop responding to my post about it.

I'm closing it out as I have made my decision and feel comfortable with it.

msmonih said:
If the issue bothers you so much then easily stop responding to my post about it.

Just warning you what to expect if you advertise it....and believe you me, if you think that I was critical, you have seen nothing yet.

Toirtis said:
Just warning you what to expect if you advertise it....and believe you me, if you think that I was critical, you have seen nothing yet.

Again I appreciate your response but I'm not overly worried about your "view" or anyone else's critical view on what I do with my aquariums for my person use. It would be a different subject if I was saying I am spawning Gouramis to make a hybrid for sale.

I didn't say that. And as far as you being critical and me not seeing anything yet, I'm not worried about that either. I don't feel like getting in a tatty back and forth. Again you have your right to your opinion and to do what you want with your aquariums as I do to.

When a hybrid is made does it have health problems or something? Or is it just that people dont like hybrids being made?

I'm lost lol :silly:

And quite possibly a bit slow

Back
Top Bottom