Spawning my Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few months ago I purchased 3 young black veil angels for my low light 55g. I decided that it's been awhile since I've spawned angels and thought I'd give it a go if 2 of them paired off.

I set up a 20g bare bottom tank for the spawn. In the tank I placed a seeded sponge filter, heater and discus breeding cone. I filled the tank with half fresh (new water), and half from the 55g. Temp was set at 77F, pH 6.6, DH1. I introduced the 2 that had paired off and the following day the angels spawned. Unfortunately as angels often do, the eggs were promptly eaten the next day.

After another week of daily 50% water changes, and very generous feedings of live CBW, the angels spawned again. This time I removed the pair back to the 55g. I added some meth blue to the water and moved the cone with the eggs near the water current from the sponge filter. 8 days later you can see the results. Approx 300 free swimming angel fry. :)

Attachments

• the_parents.jpg
    the_parents.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 109
  • angel_fry_004.jpg
    angel_fry_004.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 142
Hopefully some better fry pics. Photography is just not my forte.

Attachments

• angel_fry_002.jpg
    angel_fry_002.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 87
  • angel_fry_003.jpg
    angel_fry_003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 104
Congrats! Very nice.........(y)

Now, raise the bar, and have a go at keyhole cichlids! :wink: (jk) I'm sure you'll find other people in NY who will take keyhole fry!!! (looks in Jchillin's direction) :)

I think it's time for an update, Thank you! :D
Enough space to grow them all out? (I have no idea how many empty tanks you've got standing around...)
How long will it take for them to grow to a size at which you can sell them?

That is so awesome Brian! :D You will have to give me some pointers with Angels, because that is my next project.

How exciting to see so many fry. How many will survive?

:mrgreen: OK, here's the update. After being free swimming for a little more than 2 weeks I've got between 30-35 fry left. That's approximately a 90% mortality rate. I think there could be many reasons for that but I'm not really upset as it will be taxing enough to raise this many to a reasonable size.

I wanted to spawn these fish simply because I hadn't spawned angels in many years. I've little interest in selling them. I just enjoy the challenge of breeding fish and raising a few to my contentment. I'll post some updated pics in few days.

Thomas, I have (5) 20g, and (2), 29g tanks that I'm not using. The problem with setting these up is I don't have enough electrical outlets to handle the load. That's a problem when MTS sets in.

BrianNY said:
Thomas, I have (5) 20g, and (2), 29g tanks that I'm not using. The problem with setting these up is I don't have enough electrical outlets to handle the load. That's a problem when MTS sets in.

Are you saying you still have space? 8O

Congrats in any event...90% is a very decent rate, especially with angels.

Hmm, strange to get such a high mortality rate........But maybe for the best....that way you are sure that the strongest ones survive.

That is pretty annoying that you can't set up the other tanks because of power supply limitations...

And I know you aren't too interested in selling them, but even 35 angels are hard to just hand out to everyone you know, you'll end up selling some on an auction or to an lfs, right? I'm guessing you're not the type of guy who would just set them free into the wild :p :lol:

Good luck with the remaining fry!

P.s.: Had anymore succes with your attempts at breeding and raising your discus?

JCHillin - It's not the space. I can always cram another tank in somewhere. It's the electric. Want my electric bill? :lol:

Thomas - Discus are spawning regularly. Again, certain equipment is keeping me from succesfully raising any fry. I've back burnered them until I can devote some more do re me. As for the angels... When they reach a decent size, I'll donate for auction at my aquarium club.

Cat - If you ever do get the breeding bug, lets' start with those fantastic barbs. :wink:

unfortunately brian, the denisonii have not been known to spawn in captivity...of course i could be the first...;)

:D Excellent point Cat, and the reason for a new thread in this forum.

BrianNY said:
It's not the space. I can always cram another tank in somewhere. It's the electric. Want my electric bill?

Haven't you made this offer previously? I think I politely turned you down then and will have to turn you down again.

Back
Top Bottom