Spawning Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How big must a spawning tank be?
What does it need?
Can it be kept running with some harmless fish?

It depends on the fish you're breeding. Killifish will spawn in a 5 gal. Angels a 20. The larger the fish, the more room they need (as a rule).

What do you want to spawn??
Are you wanting to also use your *spawning* tank to rear the fry from the resulting brood? If so, what age/size are you planning to keep the fry to? (ie are you raising them just to sellable size or want to grow them out to adulthood)

20 gallons is a workable size for a multi purpose tank - breeding, hospital, quarantine. 10 gal is cheaper, but you probable will run out of room trying to raise a large brood of fry in 10 gal. You could always add more ten gals tho. I recently faced this decision, and went with 10 gal. If only because when its not big enough, I can justify more tanks to my wife :p

I want a tank for raising fry, and possibly serve as a quarantine, and whatever. I want to breed bettas, guppies and mollies maybe but I don't think I want to spawn angels in the tank, but if my future angels spawn in my community tank, i would like to use the extra tank for the angel fry.

As i want the breeding/quarantine tank to be continuosly running, I should probably have some fish or aquatic creature in it. The aquatic creature obviously would have to be harmless enough not to attack eggs, fry or sick fish. it would have to be able to get along with the wide variety of fish that may be put in with it and it must not be valuable enough so it wouldn't matter if it died.

two Brostlenose catfish. They will keep it cycled and control your algae.

Just don't put sick fish in with them. Get them out treat your sick fish.... clean the tank set it up again and put them back in after. Hopefully you won't need to treat sick fish if you use a QT :wink:

What about shrimp? I know the bristlenose are good, but I heard that they were a bit touchy. I want to use this tank for quarantine aswell.

Don't forget that you can take biomedia from your main tank to seed the QT filter when you put someone in it. Keep some extra substrate in your main tanks filter for this purpose. A little work to move the substrate around, but perhaps less work than keeping it up and running all the time. Alternatively, run the QT filter on the main tank when the QT is not in use. Just remember to clean it out if the QT had sick fish in it before putting it back on the main tank.

You could always get snails. They come in many different colors, shapes, and sizes. They obviously don't eat fry. Although if you have live plants you don't want munched you'd have to do a little research and get some brigs (a species of apple snails), ramshorns, or MTS. If your interested I recommend you go and check out www.applesnail.com

Back
Top Bottom