Spawning thorichthys ellioti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niklev

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone give me advice for my ellioti pair? The fry are almost/already free swimming and I'm not too sure on how to remove them, when I should remove them and if a fry net/box or a smaller separate tank would be better etc...

They're very aggressive to the point where I might have to remove my other pair and separate the parents as they're injuring each other

Keeping other fish with a spawning pair of cichlids is almost always a bad idea. Your other fish are in danger from the pair protecting their eggs or fry so I would definitely either use a divider or put them in another tank.
Fry can be easily moved by means of a siphon tube. Just siphon them into a new tank or into a bucket then put in a tank with the water from the tank they are coming from. This can be done once they are free swimming but done more easily prior to them free swimming. If they are close to becoming free swimming, I would do it now. A simple 10 gal tank with a bare bottom, heater and a sponge filter is all you really need.
As for the breeders fighting, this is typical cichlid behavior and you may have a possible issue with them once you remove the spawn they are protecting. Cichlids are funny in that one can "blame" the other for the loss of the spawn and really battle about it. If this happens, I like to use a clear divider so that the pair can see each other but not be able to hurt each other. Once they calm down and recuporate from the experience, you can remove the divider and they will probably spawn again soon after. If you don't want more fry, I'd keep them separated.

Hope this helps (y)

My lone male was a nightmare all by himself. Can't imagine what your tank looks like:p pull the fry and raise them out in a 40b.

Back
Top Bottom