Square or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
Think my guppy is squaring (getting ready to pop) but since this is my first ever time breeding guppies, I'd like a second opinion, so I put up some pics! (I can also see the babies eyes individually, if that means anything to you guys)

View attachment 81372

View attachment 81373

View attachment 81374

(I'm talking about the light bodied female with the darker tail) oh and one more thing, does squaring out mean that she's gonna pop in a few hours or a few days?

The belly does look like she is about to give birth!

She hasn't given birth yet, but I think it'll be soon, and I've been feeding the fish extra! (I don't have a birthing box or a seperate aquarium, I might have to leave the babies to fare for themselves overnight) I gotta find a milk carton or something! To hold the babies in! I think I can make it to hang on the side of the tank, I hope she has her babies soon though, it's 9:30 already! *excited* I think I'll put the cory catfish with the fry (they won't bother the babies, and theyll clean up any left over food, which will help avoid disease and the such) but first, I have to find an empty milk carton! I'll be checking the recycle bin!

Sounds good! Don't be surprised if you do not find any babies when you wake up. Fish tend to eat their young :/

Yeah I know, but I have lots of anacharis floating and I have some hiding spot on the ground. I'm hoping to make a make-shift juvenile box for the babies to be raised in until I can get a better one from my lfs. I'll be working on that milk carton right now! How big are the babies usually? What size hole would be too small for them to fit through?

the fish should be the size of your little finger nail. maybe half. As long as the other fish cant fit through you are good!

But if the babies get out thatd be bad too. The best I can find is some of that heavy duty microwavable Tupperware. Can I use the bubbler in there as well? (little 2g air stone from a beta tank) I plan on keeping the Tupperware clipped to the side of the aquarium to keep the temp the same

Here's the set up for tonight, I gave her some extra food and there are plants inside ^^

hi,

to you does she look that squared out?

do you see her vent opening or buldging?

lol its ok if you dont see the thread in my signature it will help you

Oh shoot! Her vent is supposed to open or bulge? Should I take her out of the milk carton or just leave her be? I wish I had known that before. And yes, she looked very squared off last night (can't see her from a good angle in the carton so I couldn't tell you today if or if not)

But if the babies get out thatd be bad too. The best I can find is some of that heavy duty microwavable Tupperware. Can I use the bubbler in there as well? (little 2g air stone from a beta tank) I plan on keeping the Tupperware clipped to the side of the aquarium to keep the temp the same

You could use it in there but do you have an air stone in your tank now? (your main display) the oxygen is still in the water if you have one in your main display. I hope that makes since!

She's slimmed out, but I don't see babies or aborted eggs, so I'm confused!

I think she still has babies inside her, I can see their eyes even though it's morning, and even though she looks skinnier. My mom will be getting a HOB tank for her to live in until she finally pops, and that way would probly avoid stress too ^^

I noticed the vent on all 3 of mine when they were giving birth this week. It looked like they were starting to poop really white poop (at least to me, that's what it looked like). It stayed like that for a while even after they had finished giving birth.

Okay so I have a question, does the male guppy do a mating dance when he wants the female to mate with him? I catch the male doing two different things, but I swear they gotta have some kind of reason! #1.) he slowly swims down till he gets near the bottom and then shoots straight up, but he never jumps out. #2.) he mahes his top fin go horizontal an makes his tail fin skinnier.

Okay so I have a question, does the male guppy do a mating dance when he wants the female to mate with him? I catch the male doing two different things, but I swear they gotta have some kind of reason! #1.) he slowly swims down till he gets near the bottom and then shoots straight up, but he never jumps out. #2.) he mahes his top fin go horizontal an makes his tail fin skinnier.

Is he scratching himself on the bottom? The males and females do a sort of, "looking like they are dead" dance and then they are through with it.

Back
Top Bottom