Strange Platy behaviour - breeding? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

validus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all! i have about 8 platies in my 30L tank. They have a tendancy to suddenly have heaps babies without my realising it was comming. recently i kept one of the babies (and sold the rest). this one turned out to be really agressive. REALLY agressive. he killed my ranbow shark a while ago. and recenly i've seen him acting really strange. he keeps pestering one of the females in particular, and not bothering with the rest. he keeps nipping her and swimming really oddly, he swims vertically, or even completely upside down!!! but he only does it around her. then he goes back to being his normal self. he is eating normaly and no other strange behaviour has occured with him or any of the other fish. what is going on:confused::confused::confused:

(oh, by the way,the female he won't leave alone MIGHT be pregnant...again. and is also his mother.)

Hi. It is doubtful your platy killed the shark. Often times when people see fish act amorous it is confused with aggression and if another fish dies from unrelated reasons then the fish is blamed. Believe me when I tell you, a platy has no means to kill a rainbow shark.

The behavior you see is mating behavior. It is normal and for the most part harmless. If it troubles you then I would take the fish to a store to trade it for something else.

By the way, fish do not recognize others as their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, etc. Incest is normal in fish. :) Bill

Back
Top Bottom