Stripping Mouthbrooders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanteD817

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anybody else here strips their African Cichlids. I have a 135 gallon, and the fish have just started spawning within the last month or so. 2 days ago, I stripped a female Kenyi, and two female Acei (all are mbuna). Today I stripped yet another female Acei, and caught up a second female Kenyi and a female Aurutus which are now in a temperary 30 gallon. Once they are ready to be stripped, they will return to the main tank. I have all the fry (maybe 125-150) in a 10 gallon bow front, and when they start growing and eating they will be moved to a 50 gallon grow out tank. So what is your opinion on stripping? I prefer to strip, because even though I have ample caves, I doubt my fry will survive. The large males constantly harass holding females, and with about 50 mbuna in the tank, they would surely have a feeding frenzy once the female spits

I was wondering if anybody else here strips their African Cichlids. I have a 135 gallon, and the fish have just started spawning within the last month or so. 2 days ago, I stripped a female Kenyi, and two female Acei (all are mbuna). Today I stripped yet another female Acei, and caught up a second female Kenyi and a female Aurutus which are now in a temperary 30 gallon. Once they are ready to be stripped, they will return to the main tank. I have all the fry (maybe 125-150) in a 10 gallon bow front, and when they start growing and eating they will be moved to a 50 gallon grow out tank. So what is your opinion on stripping? I prefer to strip, because even though I have ample caves, I doubt my fry will survive. The large males constantly harass holding females, and with about 50 mbuna in the tank, they would surely have a feeding frenzy once the female spits

I stripped my Demasoni. I see no problem with it.

I stripped my Demasoni. I see no problem with it.

Good to know. I have heard some people freak out over this topic. They say we should let them spit naturally, well we don't breed them in a natural environment, I don't think the fry can have a high death rate if left in a main tank

Back
Top Bottom