stumped by female platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarchic11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so... a while ago, like 4+ months ago, i got a few platy, and saved 2, a female and what i thought was a juv male... the female dropped fry, but i only managed 2 save a few... recently after a rather large drop with a bunch of dead fry, she passed away, and now the smaller platy, who i thought was a male, has a gravid spot and looks be in the early stages of pregnancy... the only males she has been around are gups, unless she has mated a long time ago and stored the sperm this long due 2 the other females presence... could this happen?
:confused::confused::confused:

p.s. she is a wild type, as well as my gups, and up til a few days ago her gravid spot was silver like the rest of her... not dark @ all...

Here are some pics of her...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130530_080940.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130530_080940.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20130530_080918.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130530_080918.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20130530_081000.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130530_081000.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 64
I know she is female... but she is virgin 2 my knowledge... i got her as a small immature feeder... and she has only been with male gups...

I have read recently that these fish can have babies with guppies .... And that's why there are a lot of different shapes and colors of these fish..

Unless its a wild type molly no... mollys can mate with gups.. platy can breed with swordtails, but other combos dont work...

Unless its a wild type molly no... mollys can mate with gups.. platy can breed with swordtails, but other combos dont work...

Well then in This case don't know.. But I think it's kinda weird she is pregnant for no reason if she haven't been with its kind...... :/

I dont know.. thats weird. I guess youll have to wait and see if she gets bigger.. though she was immature when you bought her.. someone in the tank may have already tried and she stored it til she was ready.. who knows...

so... she is DEF pregnant! hmmm... i wonder how? unless they are wild type mollies, not wild platy... guess imm find out when i get the fry wont i!

Back
Top Bottom