Substrate in fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
Am I supposed to have gravel in my fry tank or should it be bare bottom? I keep having the problem with detritus. Maybe because of over feeding and dead fry that didnt make it out of gravel. Should I put my pleco in there to clean up? Or will he eat fry?

Hi, you could try using sand. I find it easier to keep clean. Also for my food I use Repashy Gel Food. I find it a lot less messy, especially for fry. I mix some Hakari First Bites fry food into the gel food before I mix it with boiling water. Just drop a few small pieces in and the fry go mad for it. I use a cory cat in my fry tank for cleaning any left over food...

The Cory doesn't eat the fry? And you only use one? I might that food out. I make a mess with this powdery hikari stuff. Idk how much to put in there

The Cory doesn't eat the fry? And you only use one? I might that food out. I make a mess with this powdery hikari stuff. Idk how much to put in there
If anything the fry bully the cory!!. He/she doesn't even take any notice of the fry. I know I should have more cory's and I will when I upgrade my filter soon. He/she seems happy enough though and is very active. With the Hikari food, only feed tiny amounts, 4 times a day. If you use it mixed in with the Repashy gel, you can just drop'n'go!!

Ok Thanks for the advice! I'll try to go find some of that gel stuff today. Should they have it at petco? And i might get a cory

Ok Thanks for the advice! I'll try to go find some of that gel stuff today. Should they have it at petco? And i might get a cory
I don't know if they have that food at Petco, I don't have one over here!!. I have to use Ebay. They have a community variety and a meat pie variety. I got one of each, and my fry love both. They should have that Hikari First Bites. The cory's great at cleaning up any left overs and I drop an algae tablet/wafer in 4 times a week, just before lights out. If you need any help with that food, just give me a shout....

Back
Top Bottom