Sunburst Platy Prego, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuaTree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend of mine was going to get rid of his last surviving fish by flushing it, but i told him that i would take it off his hands, now i know it is definitively pregnant but this will be only my 2 time having fry, my first ones all died during a water change, they were black mollies. I want to know is it safe to do water changes when you have fry in breeding net? and what is a healthy Ph and temp for Sunburst Platy? any advice would be fantastic since i do not know much about taking care of fry!

JoshuaTree said:
A friend of mine was going to get rid of his last surviving fish by flushing it, but i told him that i would take it off his hands, now i know it is definitively pregnant but this will be only my 2 time having fry, my first ones all died during a water change, they were black mollies. I want to know is it safe to do water changes when you have fry in breeding net? and what is a healthy Ph and temp for Sunburst Platy? any advice would be fantastic since i do not know much about taking care of fry!

I've been breeding livebrearers for years so I could help you with any questions you have.

Fry aren't the easiest to care for considering they can easily be killed during water changes,and are hard to spot.
Things to be avoid:
- strong filters ( if you have a strong filter, you should place panty hose or something to keep the fry from getting sucked into the filter.
- Weekly water changes ( this will eventually leave the fry in a state of shock and they will be killed. Or you can possibly not notice if you leave a couple in the tank while cleaning and they can be poured into a drain.
- molded food ( if you leave molded food in the tank it can make the fry I'll and they can possibly die .70% survival rate)
- other fish ( keep bigger fish separated. You can either get another tank or add a breeding net.)

Good things to know:
- they like boiled eggs, flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms.( don't feed too much boiled eggs it can cloud the tank )
- they are very active....
- they don't care for temperatures between 74-80 degrees.
- they love hiding in places( plants,caves,etc.)

Well if you have any questions please ask.
Hope this helped.

Thank you so much livebearer, this info help considerately, i have my Sunburst platy in a breeding net now, i am not 100% sure how much longer he has, but my best guess is roughly a week, she is squaring off now and not eating a lot! I am so excited for this batch of fry!! How big should they get before putting a few in my main tank??

Back
Top Bottom