Sunburst Platy reproductive/Fry info Urgent!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kfer95

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Unbeknownst to me, I guess I have male and female Sunburst Platy's and all but one I believe have nice round bellies and have for a while. Today I was doing some tank maintenance (vacuuming the gravel, water replacement etc) when I saw a speck shoot across the tank. Long story short after examination I found 3-4 extremely tiny fry. In desperate need of info. Are they live bearing or eggs? (Need to know if I need to look for eggs), can they eat finely ground flake food or do I need something else? They are so tiny I've only managed to find one and get it into a nursery tank, will turning the lights off make them come out? I have 5 Platy's and a silver bala shark in a 55 gallon tank and the shark is rather mild mannered. Any other info is extremely appreciated so they don't get eaten.

Thanks!

Plattys are live bearing fish they fry will hide until they get some size to them so they don't get eaten

if you can catch them they would be more likely to reach adulthood in a nursery tank. I have Molly's and plattys in a community tank and the fry usually survive but they have a lot of hiding spots in my tank im not sure if turning the lights off will draw them out or not iv always just let them stay in my community tank and majority of them survive they just hide and eat the food that sinks to the bottom until they get big enough to venture out on their own

if you can catch them they would be more likely to reach adulthood in a nursery tank. I have Molly's and plattys in a community tank and the fry usually survive but they have a lot of hiding spots in my tank im not sure if turning the lights off will draw them out or not iv always just let them stay in my community tank and majority of them survive they just hide and eat the food that sinks to the bottom until they get big enough to venture out on their own
Thank you very much. I have multiple props for them to make use of thankfully. I have a nursery tank started and put one of the pregnant ones in there as well seeing as she is about to pop

Another option is setting up a breeder box in you main tank put the pregnant fish in there to keep the other fish away from the mom and the fry. Also keep a eye in the mom sometimes they will die after birth due to the stress if it iv had that happen to me before

Back
Top Bottom