Suprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zarmalar

Aquarium Advice Freak
So... I have 3 zebra danios. I noticed 2 had larger bellies when I got them but I'm new to fish really so didn't think much of it. I did a 50% water change tonight and after replacing the water noticed a fry floating about... Then another and another and so on. So I checked the sink where I dumped the old water and sure enough little fry everywhere.
This got me thinking... I know there are still fry in there but my filter probably has sucked a few up, so do I need to change my filter b/c of the dead fry in there or what should I do? Poor lil fry :(

zarmalar said:
So... I have 3 zebra danios. I noticed 2 had larger bellies when I got them but I'm new to fish really so didn't think much of it. I did a 50% water change tonight and after replacing the water noticed a fry floating about... Then another and another and so on. So I checked the sink where I dumped the old water and sure enough little fry everywhere.
This got me thinking... I know there are still fry in there but my filter probably has sucked a few up, so do I need to change my filter b/c of the dead fry in there or what should I do? Poor lil fry :(
Congrats on the fry! :)
If your worried about your filter get the media and rinse it in a bucket of tank water (you should be doing this for regular maintenance anyway). Do not replace your filter media because you will be throwing away your BB. You can get a piece of sponge or some new nylon stocking and place it over the filter intake to stop the fry being sucked up.

Thanks , I got a nylon over the filter intake and rinsed the filter. Now I feel better. I have no idea how many lil ones are in there. I assume my ZD will eat the fry but id rather they get eaten then trapped in a filter or down the drain :(
I've got plenty of tiny hiding spots in there so hopefully a few will make it.

yeah;) nice though! and even if they don't you will have new ones fairly soon(1-2 months or whenever)............and you can add more floating plants so there is a better chance of survival!

Back
Top Bottom