Suprise fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
About two months ago I noticed that our Kenyi was holding fry and was ready to release. The next day when we were going to pull her from the tank, the bulge was gone. I just assumed that she swallowed them or they were eaten. Yesterday during a water change I found 4 Kenyi fry! How they have survived I have no idea. They are sooo cute. Now the problem is trying to pull out four 1/4 inch kenyi fry from a 150 gal tank.

We tried to pull them out today but it was a lost cause. They hide in the rock structure and it's impossible to get to them without risking them being eaten by the other fish. We shall try again tomorrow.

I know the feeling.
for my 100gal it's a total strip down job just to catch holding mothers.
to quick for me.

Goodluck

What makes it even harder is the fact that it's a 150 Tall. James has to suit up in scuba gear for tank maintenance. lol

Congrats!

I had a smilar situation with my firsy batch of Corydoras, the parents had been removed with hope of the fry hatching, after a day ort two the eggs had become mouldy so we thought we had no chance of any surviving.
Two weeks later I was ready to use the tank to attempt another breeding and to my amazement there were 11 tiny Corydoras... I dont know what they had been living off but there they were.
They have now had babies of thier own and are fully grown and well.
It is great when this happens.
:D

The fry are becoming adventurous. They swim out into the open a little bit but then go back into hiding when a big fish come by. And suprisingly, the bigger fish are not trying to eat them. I have high hopes for these little guys.

sigh, I to just found some fry in the tank and 2 in the filter after not being able to isolate a couple females.
so far 13 spawns this year from 4 females

Fishyfanatic said:
The fry are becoming adventurous. They swim out into the open a little bit but then go back into hiding when a big fish come by. And suprisingly, the bigger fish are not trying to eat them. I have high hopes for these little guys.

Awww that's great to hear, hopefully they will be just fine and grow up to be great additions to your tank.

We wanted to pull them from the tank so they would have a chance for survival since it was our first Kenyi batch. But watching what they do, it's pretty cool. The labs and Cobalts swim up next to them and just stay there, not even attempting to eat them.

New Father

Well, I too have joined the ranks of having new kids in the tank. My Blue Malwai's have had their first fry, and I just found 2 of them doing just fine. One is now about 1/2 inch long and the other just a bit smaller. They hide in the rock structure and know when it is time to get out of the way. I have not seen any one chasing them yet. I only worry about the Bumble Bee chichlid as he is a big brute and a pain in the a..... . I would not mind giving him away to some one around here. If your near Salem Oregon send me a PM and I would let you have this big (4 Inch) feller. So I am keeping fingers crossed that the lil guys make it.

Back
Top Bottom